Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

So I've been offered a job and would like to know what folks here think of it:

- It's near Yanzhou and apparently a tier 3 city. It has a couple of malls and restaurants, so it's better than my town in Japan. It doesn't seem to have a lot of foreign experience judging by the lack of information here, but I searched the internet (hard) for pictures and videos and it looks like it's moving in the right direction in terms of amenities and things to do. Plus there's Nanjing which is about 1.5 hours away.

- I'll be the only foreigner in my school. I don't know if that is a bad thing but the school was not willing to get me in touch with any former FTs. I always feel that people do this because they're hiding something, but then it may be just company policy. They said they have other FTs in other schools that I can hook up with. I do think the presence of FTs is important for any FT's wellbeing, it means we're all in the same boat.

- between 7000rmb to 9000rmb a month before taxes but inclusive of rent, utilities, medical allowance. Compared to what I'm getting now it is very low, but compared to other university/college jobs in China it sounds fair. I'll "only" have to work 12 hours a week, but any real teacher will know that many hours are spent on preparing lessons as well as marking them, and since I'm the only FT in the school I'll probably be given some other work (schools tend to push good teachers to get more for their RMBs). I did a lot of unpaid work in Japan so I'm used to it and don't mind if it means a career advancement in some ways.

- 1 year contract with holidays partially paid. Do FTs normally get paid full salaries during the summer and winter vacations? Are contracts usually fulfilled as advertised? How do I take precaution other than archiving e-mails?

I posted recently about comparing Japan and China and while salary-wise Japan is still so much better and I already have a house and car, I wasn't happy career wise and I was starting to dislike living in Japan. I'm looking for a fresh start and I will be starting from the bottom again. This job is very different from what I've been used to but it may end up more rewarding.

That's all for now.
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

baki wrote:
I'll be the only foreigner in my school. I don't know if that is a bad thing but the school was not willing to get me in touch with any former FTs. I always feel that people do this because they're hiding something, but then it may be just company policy.

Surely this is all the information you need to tell you that it's not a good idea. Company policy? Why? Other than to hide the dissatisfaction of those former teachers I can think of no sensible reason not to let you speak to them. I would keep looking if I were you.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
baki wrote:
I'll be the only foreigner in my school. I don't know if that is a bad thing but the school was not willing to get me in touch with any former FTs. I always feel that people do this because they're hiding something, but then it may be just company policy.

Surely this is all the information you need to tell you that it's not a good idea. Company policy? Why? Other than to hide the dissatisfaction of those former teachers I can think of no sensible reason not to let you speak to them. I would keep looking if I were you.

Agree, approach with caution.
Also 7-9k, that's quite a diference really.
It varies of course but a lot of public schools here pay your winter break holiday in full. If you re-sign for the second year, a school may pay you for the Summer holidays also as a sort of signing on bonus. This is something that I would insist on, but I'm sure not all schools will do this.
As for being the only FT at the school. That has been my experience for the past three years. I enjoy it but it's not for everyone. It is what you make it, you can sit around feeling sorry for yourself or embrace it and make the effort with your Chinese colleagues.
Good luck with your move to China Smile
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual workload v contact time will vary widely depending what you teach. Oral English clearly has less. Written much more.
If you are the only FT have there been previous incumbents?
If they have had FTs previously, then at least they have some exp of dealing with cranky and demanding Westerners.
Is the contract the standard SAFEA max 20 hours gig?
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
baki wrote:

Not an automatic red flag by any means. "Not willing to" can also mean "not able to." Former teachers might not want to be contacted, don't reply to requests, or there's no contact info available. Also doesn't take into account the most recently employed foreigner might have been a complete dick and wouldn't have anything good to say anyway. On the occasional thread where we see a former teacher was contacted and did say good things, the responses on here are often that the person can't be trusted because the school cherry-picked them. Catch 22 for the school.

Quote:
They said they have other FTs in other schools that I can hook up with.

Ask to contact these people if you really feel the need to talk to others.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your qualifications and experience? If you have a house and a car in Japan, then my guess is you've invested some time and energy into your career as well. If you have any halfway decent quals/experience, you can easily get something that pays two to three times that in a much more developed city.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention ownership of house and car in Japan...I take it that also means dependents and financial commitments? If so, you'll find the 7-9 thou a month well short of requirements I think. And yes, the refusal to put you in contact with anyone working there now, or previously-is a giant red flag.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houses can be rented out. Other people here own homes in other locations and manage. If he does own a home and car then he doesn't sound like your typical living paycheck to paycheck foreign teacher and probably is well aware of how much money he needs to get by.
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
baki wrote:

Yeah I know, but I've received this kind of response before not just from China but also Japan. I've have 2 other interviews, both want me to join their McEnglish branch (one of them asked me about becoming a DoS). I'm not all that keen teaching kids again but they're on the table. I like this one because it's at a university and I actually have quite a bit of responsibilities. I'm a bit afraid to ask for more since I've already asked a raise from 6000rmb.
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
doogsville wrote:
baki wrote:

Agree, approach with caution.
Also 7-9k, that's quite a diference really.
It varies of course but a lot of public schools here pay your winter break holiday in full. If you re-sign for the second year, a school may pay you for the Summer holidays also as a sort of signing on bonus. This is something that I would insist on, but I'm sure not all schools will do this.
As for being the only FT at the school. That has been my experience for the past three years. I enjoy it but it's not for everyone. It is what you make it, you can sit around feeling sorry for yourself or embrace it and make the effort with your Chinese colleagues.
Good luck with your move to China Smile

Thanks. It's a college/university actually. It doesn't bother me actually being the only foreigner, I just hope the people in China are a bit more outgoing.

Last edited by baki on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
The actual workload v contact time will vary widely depending what you teach. Oral English clearly has less. Written much more.
If they have had FTs previously, then at least they have some exp of dealing with cranky and demanding Westerners.

It's 12 hours per week. I hope that the salary that they're offering is actually what I'll be getting as a minimum even if I work less hours (like in Japan, fixed monthly salary).
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeespoonman wrote:
What are your qualifications and experience? If you have a house and a car in Japan, then my guess is you've invested some time and energy into your career as well. If you have any halfway decent quals/experience, you can easily get something that pays two to three times that in a much more developed city.

Pretty good actually, but to be honest I'm not an English teaching lifer though I did enjoy the interaction and initial experience (which was why I was planning to settle down). I just want to advance a bit further than that, couldn't do it in Japan without becoming a zombie for them. It was a mistake, I won't lose my house but I'll have to keep paying for it plus residential taxes. I'll give up the car though.

I hope I can demand more, but I don't know the language and it's a different country, I'll be starting from scratch again, sometimes that's what you gotta do. If all goes well then maybe I can pay off whatever I lost in Japan and then some.
baki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Job offered in a tier 3 city, some questions Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
doogsville wrote:
baki wrote:

Not an automatic red flag by any means. "Not willing to" can also mean "not able to." Former teachers might not want to be contacted, don't reply to requests, or there's no contact info available. Also doesn't take into account the most recently employed foreigner might have been a complete dick and wouldn't have anything good to say anyway. On the occasional thread where we see a former teacher was contacted and did say good things, the responses on here are often that the person can't be trusted because the school cherry-picked them. Catch 22 for the school.

Quote:
They said they have other FTs in other schools that I can hook up with.

Ask to contact these people if you really feel the need to talk to others.

Renting out my place is a good idea. AirBnB is another interesting idea as well, I can get my neighbours to help with that. I've also requested contacts of other teachers in the city so am waiting on that. I think the school may be a bit shy in sharing the lack of information about their 3rd tier city when I told them about Chengdu and Shenzhen (oops).
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baki wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

It's 12 hours per week. I hope that the salary that they're offering is actually what I'll be getting as a minimum even if I work less hours (like in Japan, fixed monthly salary).

If employer agrees to you having privates [Smile] or at least look the other way, it could be OK.
Luck
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privates....privates...privates-here we go sama-sama, same old, same old..-I know that the Gulf pay is decining, but surely working for $3-4000 a month has got to be better, as an alternative to japan, than the 7-8 thou '+ privates' being suggested here, as your Chinese alternative ....as a property/ multiple car owner in Jakarta-and a soon to be returnee to the Gulf, I can tell you that less than 12-14k a month is an absolute pittance for your endevours/labors....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: