Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business/Academic Teaching in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Business/Academic Teaching in Europe Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA certificate.

I do not have formal teaching experience, though I have tutored over the years and currently mentor high school and college students.

I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments. I was hoping for feedback from those in this forum on:

a. The accuracy of that advice
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

My preference is W. Europe (excluding Germany), though I am open to most of E. Europe, with the exception of Poland.

I understand that for typical TEFL teaching in W. Europe it is very difficult to gain a Visa as an American. Would that still apply for business/academic?

Thank you all in advance for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Yisrael
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it applies. For Europe (all regions) entry level jobs are primarily business English. This is the typical EFL job here. Regular public schools employ qualified locals and international schools hire teachers with licensure and experience in their home countries.
With your profile PLUS a CELTA or equivalent cert, you would be competitive for entry level private language school jobs in central and Eastern Europe.

Nothing much legal in Western Europe for a US citizen with your quals, though you could possibly make a frugal go of it in Germany.

I suspect the advice you cite has come from a cert course provider. Do keep in mind that their profit margins influence their advice at least somewhat!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay: subsistence level with start-up costs. Possibly a bit better once you establish local reputation, build contacts, develop local language skills. But there are relatively few 'better' jobs around and turnover is slim.
Finding jobs: not from abroad. Pick a city, come over and take a cert course in August, and be available for in person interviews (and likely demo lessons) in September, the peak hiring season.

I am speaking of Central Europe here, where you have a legal snowball's chance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: