Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business/Academic Teaching in the Carribean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzw200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Business/Academic Teaching in the Carribean Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and considering teaching overseas for a couple of years. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. I have 10+ years of professional experience in the non-profit and government sectors and have written reports for government officials and a Mayor of a mid-sized American city.

I have a Master in Public Administration degree which focuses strongly on business communications/writing within the public sector. I will be completing either a TEFL or CELTA certificate.

I do not have formal teaching experience, though I have tutored over the years and currently mentor high school and college students.

I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments. I was hoping for feedback from those in this forum on:

a. The accuracy of that advice
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

Thank you all in advance for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Yisrael
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzw200 wrote:
I've been advised that my experience should open up opportunities to teach English in Business and Academic environments. I was hoping for feedback from those in this forum on:

a. The accuracy of that advice
b. Potential pay rate for business/academic
c. Where to start in looking for these types of positions.

This forum and the TEFL market are rather dormant for the following reasons:

- English is widely spoken in many countries in the region; for some, it's the official language
- Qualified locals are given hiring priority for English teaching jobs
- French language skills and/or possibly a passport from an EU country may be required for some countries
- Unemployment is high and wages are low in much of the Caribbean
- The region attracts a good number of expats (especially retirees) from the US, Canada, etc.; some teach English

Such is the nature of TEFL; the need/demand isn't universal. Don't focus solely on the exotic and adventure when considering countries that interest you.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP

I used to teach English in the Caribbean decades ago and earned a lot of money as a free lancer..nowadays forget it...everyone speaks English there and retirees dominate the EFL teaching market almost everywhere to be had. Shocked
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esl_prof is the person you want to ask about the Caribbean. He used to be quite active on Dave's, but I haven't seen him around since last spring. It might be worth sending him a pm, in case he still checks in. Alternatively, search this forum for his posts. I remember he had some useful advice for working in the region, as well as a couple of specific recommendations for where to apply. But in general: low, low wages, and not too many openings, although there are plenty of venues for volunteering.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching English in the Caribbean these days for money is an exercise in futility....volunteering is the ONLY way to go...and yet that might not be enough...you need to cover almost all of your expenses....and bring enough money to support you (preferably a good pension) just like your local retiree from the north!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, the world is not our oyster these days!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: