Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enjoy Tefl legit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Enjoy Tefl legit? Reply with quote

Going to do a 120 hr online tefl.

Came across this one. Good price.

Anyone done or know if this company / program is legit ie accredited and accepted for a VN work permit?

Says on their website they are accredited by Accreditat

http://www.enjoytefl.com/
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions of legitimacy and accreditation on these certs are quite fungible in Vietnam. There is a school in HCMC that was using an American name (Amercian TEFL Institute), and that so called institute said they had no partner schools in VN. Then, a year or so later, the same so called institute allowed this same so called school to use their so called accreditation. Point being, the more you dig in this stuff, the messier it all looks. The entire TEFL thing may be more about money than actually learning much, though some organizations are better than others, you may actually learn something in some of them. You may find it does not help you much, depending on what you actually end up doing. There are so called schools that accept these online certs, just as you could probably even go somewhere and buy a fake and get that accepted as well (not saying it is my suggestion, just saying all this stuff happens). As cheap as that cert is, do not expect it to generate much excitement, but perhaps some operators will accept it. If you do choose to go with such a questionable cert, then your overall presentation and other qualifications will become even more important to getting you something like decent work (whatever that is).

Going the other route and paying up the real money and putting in the real time for a more respected certification brings other sets of problems and questions, which have been covered in great detail here in the past. It's all so messy.
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
The questions of legitimacy and accreditation on these certs are quite fungible in Vietnam. There is a school in HCMC that was using an American name (Amercian TEFL Institute), and that so called institute said they had no partner schools in VN. Then, a year or so later, the same so called institute allowed this same so called school to use their so called accreditation. Point being, the more you dig in this stuff, the messier it all looks. The entire TEFL thing may be more about money than actually learning much, though some organizations are better than others, you may actually learn something in some of them. You may find it does not help you much, depending on what you actually end up doing. There are so called schools that accept these online certs, just as you could probably even go somewhere and buy a fake and get that accepted as well (not saying it is my suggestion, just saying all this stuff happens). As cheap as that cert is, do not expect it to generate much excitement, but perhaps some operators will accept it. If you do choose to go with such a questionable cert, then your overall presentation and other qualifications will become even more important to getting you something like decent work (whatever that is).

Going the other route and paying up the real money and putting in the real time for a more respected certification brings other sets of problems and questions, which have been covered in great detail here in the past. It's all so messy.

From talking to a few ppl in HCM, seems it is accepted.

From everything I learned, seems a waste of money to buy those in class 2,000 dollar certs. At least for someone in my position ie native, degree, a lot of experience, etc.

As i've talked to many people at some of the better centers in HCM who were all hired with these cheap 120 hour online tefls.

Native
Degree
Experience
120 Hour TEFL

And one should be good to go.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are schools that will not be impressed with your choice of a cert. And there are schools that will say it does not meet their requirements. Whether or not this impacts your work, and to what extent, depends on various factors. But seems to me, for folks who only intend to do this a year or two, the online cert may be good enough. Long term teachers will be appalled at this advice, but hey, when you really consider the nature of schools and the expat base here now, you have to be realistic. As time goes on, this whole deal is becoming more and more about money and less and less about quality, and people who are trying to teach need to realize that, and factor it into their own decisions.

It takes a year or two anyway to work your way into the better jobs. As most people cycle in and out in a year or so, the online cert may indeed be good enough for that profile. The longer you intend to do this and the higher up the ladder you hope to climb, the more value you get out of the better certs. And this is not to say that what you learn may be the true value, instead, the fact that you actually have it is what matters. Then with the grading system of the CELTA, it could be worth even more. Not that the grade you get is what you deserve, but that is a totally different question.

Your overall portfolio of skills and qualifications matters a lot, as well as the presentation you make when interviewing and teaching.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaPaisa:

Back in 2015, you posted a similar topic and indicated you were interested in teaching EFL for just one year in VN before heading elsewhere to teach math. If that's still the case, then get a generic/online TEFL cert.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are already eligible to work legally in Vietnam (i.e. degree, clean criminal record, medically OK) and just lack a teaching certification. In which case, my advice is to get the CELTA and have it done with. Chances are, even at the cheaper Vietnamese language schools, you will have students whose families are making considerable financial sacrifices in order for someone to attend and better themselves and the level of training that you will receive with a 90 quid Internet certificate, with no observable teaching component, will be pretty negligible. I'm not saying the CELTA will make you a 'teaching God', it won't. However, it will give you the 'tool kit' to get over that 'first-year hump' and, if not be a great teacher, at least be a competent one until you get more experience.

Besides, online certs aren't going to cut it even at schools that are large employers and welcome entry-level teachers with open arms (e.g. ILA). The schools that will take you with an online certificate will be very 'low-hanging fruit' and, chances are, your experiences and pay in Vietnam will not be anywhere near as positive as they otherwise could be. I know you may be thinking short-term and that's fine, but, plans change and if you have got the CELTA then you will always have it and have something to fall back on. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Good luck to you SinaloaPaisa with whatever you decide.
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I'm assuming you are already eligible to work legally in Vietnam (i.e. degree, clean criminal record, medically OK) and just lack a teaching certification. In which case, my advice is to get the CELTA and have it done with. Chances are, even at the cheaper Vietnamese language schools, you will have students whose families are making considerable financial sacrifices in order for someone to attend and better themselves and the level of training that you will receive with a 90 quid Internet certificate, with no observable teaching component, will be pretty negligible. I'm not saying the CELTA will make you a 'teaching God', it won't. However, it will give you the 'tool kit' to get over that 'first-year hump' and, if not be a great teacher, at least be a competent one until you get more experience.

Besides, online certs aren't going to cut it even at schools that are large employers and welcome entry-level teachers with open arms (e.g. ILA). The schools that will take you with an online certificate will be very 'low-hanging fruit' and, chances are, your experiences and pay in Vietnam will not be anywhere near as positive as they otherwise could be. I know you may be thinking short-term and that's fine, but, plans change and if you have got the CELTA then you will always have it and have something to fall back on. Anyway, that's just my two cents. Good luck to you SinaloaPaisa with whatever you decide.

Def not paying 2k+ for a CELTA. I am only going to teach ESL to hold me over until I find an International School Math position. And even if I wasn't I still dont see any benefit to a CELTA in VN assuming one has all the other requirements. Ive talked to people in good jobs making good money who only have 120 hr online tefls.

My experience teaching esl for 3+ years in Korea to young learners doing phonics to high schoolers and adults doing TOEFL and completing an actual teaching license from the states (student teaching in numerous schools) are 1000 times more valuable and informal than anything a CELTA is gonna teach me in 4 weeks.

From my research, just don't see the value in paying that kind of money for natives with all the other requirements in VN. After I arrive next month, my opinion might change, but for now that is the impression I got.

Cheers for the advice though.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaPaisa wrote:

My experience teaching esl for 3+ years in Korea to young learners doing phonics to high schoolers and adults doing TOEFL and completing an actual teaching license from the states (student teaching in numerous schools) are 1000 times more valuable and informal than anything a CELTA is gonna teach me in 4 weeks.

Ah.....I see. To be honest, I didn't know you had TEFL experience or were almost completed an accredited teaching license. I'm taking the year off to complete one as well, only in History and English. I wish I had a science or mathematics background. So many more jobs once you get the license, but, I guess your interests lie where they are. That changes things. Good luck in Vietnam and with your studies!
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
SinaloaPaisa wrote:

Ah.....I see. To be honest, I didn't know you had TEFL experience or were almost completed an accredited teaching license. I'm taking the year off to complete one as well, only in History and English. I wish I had a science or mathematics background. So many more jobs once you get the license, but, I guess your interests lie where they are. That changes things. Good luck in Vietnam and with your studies!

I have completed my middle school math license. Have the license.

Now want to spend the next 6-12 months studying for the high school math license.

You do not need a background in science or math. My degree is in business. I have zero background in math.

The only thing you need primarily is a license in science or math. To which any degree holder can obtain.

After that its all about getting experience, positive recommendations and various accomplishments.

As a newb with no background you might have to get your first year or two at a lower tier school (tier 2-3) then make the jump to a better school (tier 1).
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that SinaloaPaisa, but, Australia, or at least my state in Australia, has different requirements. With a bit more study though I could change teaching areas and, due to teacher shortages in STEM subjects, this is actually being encouraged.
TRH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SinaloaPaisa:

Back in 2015, you posted a similar topic and indicated you were interested in teaching EFL for just one year in VN before heading elsewhere to teach math. If that's still the case, then get a generic/online TEFL cert.
Perhaps it is time for the OP to "fish or cut bait." The other common analogy won't get past the mods. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: