Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blended Celta in Culiacan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argofoto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Blended Celta in Culiacan Reply with quote

Long time lurker here. I'm thinking of taking the Blended Celta in Culiacan. I would rather not take it in Mexico City because of the pollution and I have moderate-severe asthma. The course is through International House. I'm wondering if anyone here knows the general job prospects in that area, or other areas with decent air quality.

I have a non-related BS, native US speaker, 4 years experience volunteer tutoring English and hosting a small conversation class. My current job is non-related and well-paid but I've hit a plateau and am 31 years old.

I also thought of attending the San German Uni at P.R. for their MA TESOL and then getting teacher certification from the state of Florida. But since I've never taught overseas, I figure better to not bet everything and try the CELTA first.

The Blended CELTA affords me the opportunity to take it while taking vacation from work and not having to quit my current employment (at least not right away Very Happy ).

Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wise not to take it in Mexico City if you have asthma, the air quality is one of the main reasons we moved away. However, living in the north of Mexico, I would highly recommend you look for a different location than Culiacan, right now things are pretty bad/lawless in the north, and a ton of what happens never makes it past the regional newspapers. Maybe Guadalajara would be a place to consider, or I think there is one in Playa de Carmen, or somewhere in Quintana Roo. Do you know where you want to teach eventually?
Argofoto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Culiacan is the only option currently for a blended celta outside DF, at least through International House.

I was planning after taking the class Culiacan, it is only two weeks, to find work in Mazatlan. From what I have read, Mazatlan is relatively safe. Would there be reason to think otherwise that is not on the radar?

How is Guadalajara for air quality? I have doubts about large cities in Mexico in general.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argofoto wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Culiacan is the only option currently for a blended celta outside DF, at least through International House.

I was planning after taking the class Culiacan, it is only two weeks, to find work in Mazatlan. From what I have read, Mazatlan is relatively safe. Would there be reason to think otherwise that is not on the radar?

How is Guadalajara for air quality? I have doubts about large cities in Mexico in general.

Guadalajara isn´t anywhere near as bad as Mexico City. Some days are worse than others. If you were able to go during the rainy season, even Mexico City would not be bad. Personally, I wouldn´t consider Mazatlan safe, especially if you plan to travel in the area. Somewhere further south would probably be better.....Puebla perhaps, or the state of Oaxaca would be the safest, though some states in central Mexico are pretty calm right now, Queretaro and Guanajuato. Personally, even though I live in the north, I would not recommend it to anyone, not for visiting, not for working, especially not in the current political climate.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into the SIT TESOL Certificate? They used to give it in Mexico, but the schedule for this year doesn't have any Mexico dates. But there is one this summer in Queztaltenango.
http://graduate.sit.edu/sit-graduate-institute/sn/degree-and-certificate-programs/language-teacher-training/sit-graduate-institute-tesol-certificate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: