Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Technological College, Muscat, Oman, A to Z....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poundadozen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Jobs direct contact Reply with quote

MOD edit
siologen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: re: esp in inland towns Reply with quote

I never spent too much in Nizwa on the tati salary and was able to live OK, and that was allowing for the occasional splurge in muscat and one trip to Dubai. Living in Muscat and junkets to the emirates/or burning it all on travel during the summer holidays might eat the salary up, but not living in in the inland towns, no way.
poundadozen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: MOD collusion with Daveseslcafe Reply with quote

I did already post a comment about the MTC . It was not even negative .
They keep deleting my comments because we have to use the dark net to access DavesEslCafe.com

DavesESL used to be neutral and unbiased , How times have changed.
So bad that they monitor us on the internet here at the MOD. I don't like the 1984 feel here either.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your posts... If I was a betting woman, I would say that they were cut because they looked like an employer trying to get a free job ad. It told people to go to some guy on Facebook if they were interested in a job. You gave his name... and a link as I recall.

Don't see how that has anything to do with being biased... or what that has to do with your type of access... one used by probably a majority of posters in the Middle East section.

Since this is an advertising supported board, they have always cut posts that look like ads... Rolling Eyes

VS
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are yet more agencies recruiting for the MTC. I have never worked in Oman, but the ads caught my eye. Maybe because I'm not used to it, but I find the number of different recruitment agencies involved in hiring teachers for this place a bit off-putting...as well as the 'impressive' number of threads on this forum dedicated to the MTC!

MOD edit for links
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
...as well as the 'impressive' number of threads on this forum dedicated to the MTC!

I just did a search and there were about 8 threads... a couple of them very short and locked... most of the rest it is merely mentioned inside of a thread on another topic.

I would call that a very unimpressive number of threads... tiny, in fact. LOL

And personally I would rather it was recruitment agencies followed by direct hire rather than contractors...

VS
CKM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone shed any light on the English programme/courses at the MTC? Do they focus on general English or more EAP/ESP type programmes?

Thanks
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word is pay and time off are so-so and management is not good. Expect a general English curriculum and a textbook, with most learners at the A1/A2 level.
faceofcircumstance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Hard to reconcile... Reply with quote

Hi... I actually wrote a new thread asking for current info about MTC, but deleted it when I saw this one.

I am contemplating a return to Oman (I lived there 4 years) and MTC obviously comes to mind because of the salary.

However, I know it has been cursed with problems (the first two years of its operation I heard a lot from two ex-colleagues who left my place of work at the time to join MTC), and the posts here confirm this.

I've just seen an ad in Telf.com for 20 teachers (that in itself is ominous now I come to think of it!), including this info:

"1200 OMR pcm plus 500 OMR pcm housing allowance plus 200 OMR pcm travel allowance
A gratuity of one month's basic salary payable on completion of each year of contract service
45 days leave pa
Travel expenses at start and end of period of employment and for annual leave
Initial temporary accommodation provided free of charge for one month; it may be possible to extend this dependent on availability. (Accommodation allowance not then payable)"

What leaps out at me is the 45 days leave pa... I am reading that holidays have been cut (and Christmas 'stolen'), but 45 days pa should mean 9 weeks (45 = 5 x 9). Is it that weekends are included in this figure (which would mean just over 6 'full' weeks - 6x5=30 + 6x2=12 - if my weak maths is up to it)?

If conditions at the MTC are not currently onerous, I am looking for the long-term (though granted other opportunities may present themselves).

Any and all information on current conditions would be very welcome. Thank you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never worked in any Gulf country where the contract wasn't for X calendar days. 60 days used to be the standard, but as pay and benefits have tanked, that too has lowered. So... 6 weeks

VS
Dr X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to reconcile... Reply with quote

faceofcircumstance wrote:

"1200 OMR pcm plus 500 OMR pcm housing allowance plus 200 OMR pcm travel allowance
A gratuity of one month's basic salary payable on completion of each year of contract service
45 days leave pa

What leaps out at me is the 45 days leave pa... I am reading that holidays have been cut (and Christmas 'stolen'), but 45 days pa should mean 9 weeks (45 = 5 x 9). Is it that weekends are included in this figure (which would mean just over 6 'full' weeks - 6x5=30 + 6x2=12 - if my weak maths is up to it)?

1 month (4 weeks) = 30 days (as average)
1/2 month (2 weeks) = 15 days
TOTAL = 30 + 15 = 45 days

So, you get 6 weeks (including weekends).
I know a friend who works in the engineering department, his annual holiday is 45 days.

And no, Christmas is not 'stolen' as it is not a public or national holiday in Oman. But you have other public and national holidays like Eid Al-Fitr, Eid Al-Adha, and National Day.
faceofcircumstance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both responses.

I wrote 'stolen' because this term was used in this or a related thread since I gather that originally MTC staff did have a holiday over the Christmas period.

Yes, the Eids are good.

Last edited by faceofcircumstance on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to reconcile... Reply with quote

faceofcircumstance wrote:
Hi... I actually wrote a new thread asking for current info about MTC, but deleted it when I saw this one.

I am contemplating a return to Oman (I lived there 4 years) and MTC obviously comes to mind because of the salary.

However, I know it has been cursed with problems (the first two years of its operation I heard a lot from two ex-colleagues who left my place of work at the time to join MTC), and the posts here confirm this.

I've just seen an ad in Telf.com for 20 teachers (that in itself is ominous now I come to think of it!), including this info:

45 days leave pa
Travel expenses at start and end of period of employment and for annual leave
Initial temporary accommodation provided free of charge for one month; it may be possible to extend this dependent on availability. (Accommodation allowance not then payable)"

If conditions at the MTC are not currently onerous, I am looking for the long-term (though granted other opportunities may present themselves).

Any and all information on current conditions would be very welcome. Thank you.

I am assuming this is the advertisement bring run by the BABYLONIAN SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES in Wiltshire, looking for 20 teachers.

So, MTC have moved from the Irish recruitment agency to this one? Can't remember if it was Red Chair recruitment, but last summer I passed a screening intervew for the Irish agency (phone interview, quite cursory) but when passed on to Muscat I didn't clear the hurdle.

Would be interesting to see if the hurdles have been lowered.
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard to reconcile... Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
I passed a screening intervew for the Irish agency (phone interview, quite cursory) but when passed on to Muscat I didn't clear the hurdle.

Would be interesting to see if the hurdles have been lowered.

What hurdle was it that you didn't pass?
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suspecting no ME experience and/or no MA in AppLing despite a CELTA and 11 years' teaching experience (Eastern Europe).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: