Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawrence S.Ting School
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brunouno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Brunouno wrote:

I truly hope the OP can have your luck to gain a successful 'career' earning 25 bucks an hour with little to no benefits.

Your sarcasm and disbelief in my statements is proof that not everyone can make it in Vietnam. You're to the point where you're so "settled" in mid-level EFL work, that you can't even imagine it gets better.

I work on a monthly salary well above the average. Benefits include health insurance, more than a month of paid vacation time, amazing support structures, travel allowances, a flexible schedule outside of my class hours, and more. There is also room for advancement which I'm aiming for in the next few years.

Positions like these are rare, but they do exist for people who have the qualifications (degrees, not certificates), and are willing the put in the time and effort to reach them. A lot of the international schools around the country have EFL programs which pay far superior to English center work, these positions often have multiple tiers you can work up through with the pay and benefits getting better and better. Put in the right amount of time and effort, and you can even take managerial positions which in themselves have more tiers to climb through.

I know several colleagues and friends who are raising families through work like this. The ones who are married to locals have purchased land and have nice houses while driving to work in nice cars. Others prefer to travel on the many cycle breaks international schools have. One of my colleagues just got back from 3 weeks in Dubai, and another from traveling around Europe. Most of them are working on extra degrees or working towards a PHd in their free time as well.

So just remember, just because you and everyone you know is stuck at mid-level positions, that doesn't mean that's all there is. Set your goals and you can probably reach them. If you just have a CELTA, start working on your Masters. But don't expect to go far if you think a 4 week CELTA makes you a teacher.

Your attempt to paint a rosy picture on a very average job proves my point. In order to facilitate your pompous traits, please click on the following link to help yourself in more ways than one.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/masters-degree-or-masters-degree/
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see you letting us know what your credentials are. I just see you complaining about your lack of a successful career in EFL. You're so unsuccessful that you try to rationalize that it doesn't get any better. I told you that's not true, so now you're trying attack me.

I think you've just proven to everyone why you're so unsuccessful. Instead of buckling down and putting the work in, you'd rather sit behind your computer screen and make uninspired attacks on people who achieved more than you. Bravo, sir.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I don't see you letting us know what your credentials are. I just see you complaining about your lack of a successful career in EFL. You're so unsuccessful that you try to rationalize that it doesn't get any better. I told you that's not true, so now you're trying attack me.

I think you've just proven to everyone why you're so unsuccessful. Instead of buckling down and putting the work in, you'd rather sit behind your computer screen and make uninspired attacks on people who achieved more than you. Bravo, sir.

My Master of TESOL and Delta Module 3 are serving me very well in the EFL world. Thanks for your concern Wink
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's great. Although I don't quite see the purpose of holding both a master's in TESOL and a DELTA, but that's irrelevant.

I don't see why you're doing your best to say there's nothing but mid-level mediocrity available for teachers in Vietnam. I know teachers back in the US who make less money and have less benefits than I do.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 or 30 bucks an hour goes a very long way here, if you get your costs under control. You can get by for a lot less here than back home, unless you think you need a car, an expensive apartment and constant meals at western style restaurants. Did you see the recent story that the govt wants to halve the number of cars it keeps going? They say that each one costs 14 grand per year to maintain. Know how many Super Cubs I can maintain on 14 grand per year? A large number!

The trick is to build your fortune in the west, and with your lower cost structure here, there should be a lot more income left over for you to do it with. You can try to invest here, but before you do, talk to a couple hundred expats, ask them their experiences with investing money here before making your decision. For every one success there are about twenty horror stories.

My grandma's fortune is staying where it was created, back home. She was quite a corker in her day, and I am sure she would approve of my life here and my keeping what she built over there, OVER THERE. She was no fool, and she knew a good time and a good thing when she saw them, and knew the difference too.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
Well that's great. Although I don't quite see the purpose of holding both a master's in TESOL and a DELTA, but that's irrelevant.

I don't see why you're doing your best to say there's nothing but mid-level mediocrity available for teachers in Vietnam. I know teachers back in the US who make less money and have less benefits than I do.

1. Do a little research and you'll know the purpose.

2. I'm not trying my best to say that.

3. Again, you're trying to paint a rosy picture on an average position. 99.9 percent of full-time teachers in the US would make more than you. There's no way you're earning more than 2k USD a month unless you're working more than the standard 20 teaching hours a week. Sure, it's a lot of money for Vietnam, but US dollars make the world go round, and you'd want to be saving the vast majority of that if you're planning on having a similar salary and 'career' in a language centre for many years to come.

4.https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZR0OlZMPYr33MUfPQNFsOQCv6CIVhWdSKV[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: