Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary range
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul that is what I did't quite get.. and when I asked for exact figure I was told they will let me know as soon as they calculated the package Rolling Eyes but I expect it will fall may be closer to the high end.. But still this should be the base range with housing paid on top .. I am searching other universities hence I am asking what should be the acceptable range
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
Still this should be the base range with housing paid on top .. I am searching other universities hence I am asking what should be the acceptable range

As mentioned, salaries (and benefits) have been declining. Perhaps it's best to figure out what income you and your family require in order to meet your daily needs and particular financial situation as opposed to trying to determine what's generally acceptable.
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
As mentioned, salaries (and benefits) have been declining. Perhaps it's best to figure out what income you and your family require in order to meet your daily needs and particular financial situation as opposed to trying to determine what's generally acceptable.

I haven't lived in the UAE before so I don't know what the income that is adequate to meet daily needs there and save some.. I might think 20k is ok when I convert it to my currency and compare it to my living in my own country .. but when I arrive there I find different expenses and needs that I was not aware of.. hope you got my point Idea
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
I haven't lived in the UAE before so I don't know what the income that is adequate to meet daily needs there and save some.. I might think 20k is ok when I convert it to my currency and compare it to my living in my own country .. but when I arrive there I find different expenses and needs that I was not aware of.

Given that we know nothing about you and your personal life (e.g., debts/financial obligations, number of school-aged dependents (tuition costs), spending habits, housing size, transportation needs, etc.), you and your spouse need to figure out how much you'll have to earn to support a family of X. Start by checking out https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ for a general idea of costs. There are also several good UAE expat websites with forums that focus on life in the Emirates. These sites reach a mainstream audience.
Chamia2016

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Dano1983,

Your nationality have everything to do with your salary, first before your experience, your cv, before everything
If your nationality is Arabic you will be at the lower base.
The salary depends also on where you obtained your Phd (Europe? America? Arabic country?)
Then only they will see with your experience.
Between 20 000 and 26 000 there is a huge difference of salary....
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Given that we know nothing about you and your personal life (e.g., debts/financial obligations, number of school-aged dependents (tuition costs), spending habits, housing size, transportation needs, etc.), you and your spouse need to figure out how much you'll have to earn to support a family of X. Start by checking out https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ for a general idea of costs. There are also several good UAE expat websites with forums that focus on life in the Emirates. These sites reach a mainstream audience.

Thank you. I will have a look at these sites
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chamia2016 wrote:
HI Dano1983, Your nationality have everything to do with your salary, first before your experience, your cv, before everything
If your nationality is Arabic you will be at the lower base.
The salary depends also on where you obtained your Phd (Europe? America? Arabic country?)
Then only they will see with your experience.
Between 20 000 and 26 000 there is a huge difference of salary....

That is sad and such an ignorant way of thinking. I am European with PhD from Europe but that is shouldn't be the assessment criteria Confused It should be experience and ability to do the job Rolling Eyes but hey their country and their rules...
lucky blonds and blue eyed Razz
Chamia2016

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad and such an ignorant way of thinking

Are you talking about me?
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No .. I am talking about the selection criteria and those who would employ/pay someone based on ethnicity
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano1983 wrote:
No .. I am talking about the selection criteria and those who would employ/pay someone based on ethnicity

It's actually based on passport/nationality. But not all employers follow this criteria.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Here you go Dano.

1 bed flat 70 to 100k
2 beds you'd want to put your kids in 120k plus
School fees 30-60k per child per year
Sat TV and net 650/month
Water and electric 300/month
AC 40/month
Car rental 1500/month
Beef mince 20 for 500g
Whole chicken 16
Shrimps 45/kg
Butter 21
Milk 5.50
Eggs 5.50
Cereal 20
Bread 5 to 24 depending on if organic or normal
Fruit and veg are cheap in Lulu and Coop 10/kg for cheap end stuff but not in Waitrose where it's organic
Starbuck's americano 15
Pizza 50
Beer in a pub 36 in a shop 8
Average brunch 300
Ticket to Europe 2-3k each
Ferrari World etc, super expensive
Trip to Saadiyat beach at the weekend 75 per sun lounger
Corniche public beach is free the others cost 10 each and 25 per sunbed
Ice cream 10-20
Haircut 20 but for women much more
Dentists costly might not be covered by your med insurance
Toothpaste 15-20
Soap 3-6
Deodorant 20
Bottle of water 1-2 but 15 in a restaurant
Skype and Whatsapp work
VPNs are illegal (people use them)
Smokes av 10
Clothes are cheapish/lots of sales

I'd say 26k, all in, with kids is gonna be a struggle.

The killer is setting the flat up paying all your annual rent up front. If you don't pass probation and get canned, you won't get it back. Also, they know ho much it costs to move, so expect rent increases. ADEC pay 20k and supply housing , furniture allowance and flights and that's just teaching English in a school.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: salary range Reply with quote

Dear Dano1983,

AC deposit?? What is that ?

This is based on HCT. Depending on where you live, there are "deposits" for water/sewage, cable, and the electric company. I use quotation marks because I never got my water/sewage deposit reimbursed. Deposit was a misnomer.

BTW, most complexes do not have central A-C as you may be accustomed to back home. There are individual units in each room which invariably broke down every month due to substandard quality.

Per previous posters, with the new housing (on your own) provisions, many landlords require payment up front for the entire year, and some instructors have reported having to shell out rental agent finder's fees (i.e., many landlords do not live locally and/or do not speak English so you will need assistance). One must also furnish the flat/villa with appliances, furniture, etc.
Sorry to say the golden days have met their demise.

Regards,
PS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The commission to the agent was about 4k in my case, 5k deposit. Just a quick gander over forums will tell you, most people have a hell of a time getting deposits back.
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you dragonpiwo.. calculated all these numbers and the only option really is for singles on their early career really Confused
Dano1983

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: salary range Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Dear Dano1983,

AC deposit?? What is that ?

This is based on HCT. Depending on where you live, there are "deposits" for water/sewage, cable, and the electric company. I use quotation marks because I never got my water/sewage deposit reimbursed. Deposit was a misnomer.

BTW, most complexes do not have central A-C as you may be accustomed to back home. There are individual units in each room which invariably broke down every month due to substandard quality.

Per previous posters, with the new housing (on your own) provisions, many landlords require payment up front for the entire year, and some instructors have reported having to shell out rental agent finder's fees (i.e., many landlords do not live locally and/or do not speak English so you will need assistance). One must also furnish the flat/villa with appliances, furniture, etc.
Sorry to say the golden days have met their demise.

Regards,
PS

Hope you get your money back one day .. It sounds very stressful and complicated .. thank you for your feedback
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: