Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting rejected on health grounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnglishLanguageOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Getting rejected on health grounds. Reply with quote

Anyone know anyone turned down for a job in China on health grounds?
i have what is called a left bundle branch block which is a fairly common and easily medicated condition. Along with a slightly fatty liver ( had for over 10 years) non alcohol related.
Would i be better off trying a nation with less stringent health checks where they dont require in ECG?
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just mean you are overweight. The only way to know is submit the documents and see what happens. Considering the air pollution readings I see each day on an app for China, I don't think they are worried about lung issues.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the fatty liver thing come up but it didn't invalidate my residence application (Qingdao).
Back home I asked my Dr about it and his response: 'Fatty liver? You and about 60 percent of other Westerners'.
It's part of your visceral fat load i.e behind your ab muscles. The other 'love handle' fat is in front of your muscles and it's the tuff you can grab into a fold on your belly.
The bear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting rejected on health grounds. Reply with quote

EnglishLanguageOne wrote:
Anyone know anyone turned down for a job in China on health grounds?
i have what is called a left bundle branch block which is a fairly common and easily medicated condition. Along with a slightly fatty liver ( had for over 10 years) non alcohol related.
Would i be better off trying a nation with less stringent health checks where they dont require in ECG?

The 'fatty liver' used to be a running joke among foreigners in China. Everyone knew someone who had it (if not themselves). Though, haven't heard much of it recently.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an irregular heartbeat for most of my life. I had no problems with passing the physicals until about 2008. The phenomenon was merely mentioned to the FAO, and I was given no grief. She was an older FAO and probably had an irregular heartbeat as well.

Then, when I switched schools in 2010, the local med technician made a very big deal about it. I had to take an ecg twice and go through the blood pressure check twice. The second time, the med tech was so set on seeing me fail, she pumped up the BP cuff so full that I could feel it in my neck. She got some sort of ungodly reading by releasing the pressure very quickly and took the reading where the bouncing ball stopped first. The guy who worked for the FAO and took us all down to public health got into an argument about it and translated my medical record from my home doctor. It got nasty. I got at least four x-rays (or whatever it was. It was filmless).

It was nasty, but I got through it. I think the FAO has final say over these things. No one mentioned it to me and the FAO made no healthy lifestyle suggestions to me. Her husband was a doctor, so I am sure that she talked to him about it.

The SPGT test (liver function) is important. It can indicate several conditions, depending upon how savvy the med tech is. My doctor attached the actual results to the form and indicated a normal result. Years ago, I was told that I had fat in my liver, but because I'm only an occasional drinker, it was merely indicative of how and where my body stores fat. The Chinese seem not to be able to make these distinctions.

The interesting thing is that no matter the outcome of any Chinese examination, someone ALWAYS made the comment, "You're fat". Six foot one inch and 190lbs naked is fat?

Bottom line: if you have a condition that could be considered life-threatening, think twice about coming to China unless your doctor and the FAO can convince the local health nuts that you are in tip-top shape. That one rough time in Chinese public health could have sent me home. An irregular heartbeat or defective valve could lead to a stroke. That's what concerned the Chinese.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: