Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dangerous ? Saudi Arabia ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Dangerous ? Saudi Arabia ? Reply with quote

An American was shot yesterday (1 May 2003) in Jubail. So be cautious if you are in Saudi ! Western Embassies are still advising a high level of awareness on security within the Kingdom. Who says we get our money for nothing ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: And the girls are free Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
" Money for nothing and the girls are free " Dire Straits.
I saw that item in the Arab News today - but, of course, it's still unknown ( or not mentioned ) whether he was shot simply for being an American ( which is a good enough reason for far too many ) or for some other reason. At any rate, as you know - if you want to read about Americans being shot, the pages of most American papers are best for that, especially in the South. We're a gun-happy culture, and even those who want nothing to do with firearms ( such as myself ) are sorely tempted to acquire them, strictly in self-defense. Of course, most of the time, these good citizens end up shooting either themselves or ( unintentionally ) a loved one. This is not to minimize the potential danger over here for ANY
non-Arab/Moslem. We all need to stay alert, not take anything for granted, and, yes ( though I hate to see it in the " embassy warnings " ) keep a low(er) profile. That's just part of the " trade-off " these days for the salaries we make. Is it all worth it? Well, that's for each to decide for him/herself. But an informed decision is necessary.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: alarmist ? Reply with quote

I do not want to be alarmist - just to remind people that it is a good idea to keep the head below the parapet. We live in uncertain times.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: danger in the k of sa Reply with quote

And remember that death in a traffic accident is statistically much more likely than in a terrorist incident. Sensible people in Saudi Arabia do not drive and minimise their exposure to road traffic.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: road safety Reply with quote

Are you sure that those poor Saudi drivers aren't just fleeing in terror whenever you appear in public?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: InshaLaLa Land Reply with quote

Dear zakiah25,
I'm sure scot47 has many abilities, but I doubt his capacity to simultaneously appear all throughout the Kingdom 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And since the crazy drivers do, we must, I fear, seek another explanation for their homicidal/suicidal behavior on the roads ( and sidewalks ) of Saudi Arabia. I have a few guesses, but I'll just mention one: the " inshallah mentality ". Since all is preordained by Allah,
one's behavior ( on the roads or elsewhere ) is " out-of-one's-control ". If it's written that you are going to have an accident, well then, you'll have one, no matter how you drive.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: