Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Doors Report - Intensive English Programs down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Open Doors Report - Intensive English Programs down Reply with quote

As anyone else who happens to work in the US IEP (Intensive English Programs) area already knows, enrollments are down. Way down. The latest Open Doors report shows that IEP enrollments dropped 17% from 2014/15 to 2015/16.
This is something to consider for those who are currently abroad and hope to move to (or back to) the US in order to teach ESL in higher ed. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but expect it to be quite competitive and expect to work part-time for some stretch.

http://www.iie.org/en/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/Fast-Facts#.WCswhhorKM8
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a common theme in English language programs throughout the US. See Student slump.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market here in Canada is trending towards programs that teach English/literacy to permanent residents (green card holders in the US, I think). Online/blended learning is becoming a "must" for any newly-hired teachers. Traditional ESL programs (IEP) are morphing rapidly in North America. 10 years ago, you wouldn't have even discussed digital literacy in most programs, now it's becoming a core component. If you've been away for 5+ years, heed this before you come back. K-12 is in demand too, if you'd like to babysit under the guise of ESL teacher.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the school. It is not always baby sitting.
I am certified in Washington state so I am thinking of going to Tacoma in late March and seeing the job fair.
I will look into adult education as well since there is demand.
Obviously community college would be nice but high teaching is the back up plan.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Open Doors Report Reply with quote

moved to more appropriate thread "ESL slump"

PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: