Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm in a strange situation. Any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thailandreb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: I'm in a strange situation. Any advice? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm an experienced American ESL teacher, currently in Thailand. I've been to China as a tourist several times, and am looking for work there now. My questions are....

I already have a Chinese tourist visa which can get me into the country, but of course I would want to work there legally once I arrive. Can I come from Thailand directly into China on that visa and have it changed over to a Z visa without having to leave the country?

Also.... I want to move with my girlfriend. She is Russian, and has very limited ESL experience (only as a volunteer) and no certifications. Her English level is very good, but obviously she'll have a harder go at it finding a job than I will. Are there any companies who will legally hire her and get her a visa so she can legally work?

Thanks for any info Smile
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your due diligence and research (if you haven't already).

My colleague taught in Thailand prior to coming to China. The school sent all required documents to him. He arrived with his Z visa.

In regards to your gf, she'll be able to find work. Legally? Other posters should be able to clarify.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the provinces in the interior may have started a pilot program recently to allow ESL teachers from non-native speaking countries to work legally, but I believe this is all talk at this point. Even if true, I believe the teacher needs to prove through certifications and such proficient English. so the answer is no she cannot. However, she could teach Russian legally provided she met the educational and experience requirements.

As regards the ever changing visa situation. To the best of my knowledge, you can now go to Shanghai and have it converted above board. Most jurisdictions are still requiring post-2014 changes that you return home. There has been a new pilot program in some jurisdictions which allow you to bypass this and apply on arrival. You still need to have all the requirements done beforehand such as CBC and authenticated degrees, so plan on some serious effort and expense beforehand regardless of where you go.

As for getting your z-visa in Thailand, one hears of it as inferred above. Seems from the rumor mill that a consulate there will process them sometimes. I don't know what to make of that. In the end, it is not up to the consulate even if they agree to do it. It is up to the jurisdiction where you will be applying if it will be allowed.
creeper1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your girlfriend can get work. Even in my former company (reputable and in Beijing) has non native speakers teaching though they advertise on their site they need native speakers.
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
It is up to the jurisdiction where you will be applying if it will be allowed.

Valid point.
thailandreb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the comments, I appreciate the help!
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the processing of the Z visa overseas-it's nothing to do with the embassy or consulate, it would be the Chinese visa application centre....which Bangkok definitely has. Again, whether or not you can do this depends upon the province you're headed to.
kev20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be go to Shenzhen. Many teachers come on a tourist visa and obtaining the Z visa is very straightforward. You can just go into Hong Kong briefly by the subway and come back and get your visa at customs before entering China.

There also seems be a fairly large Russian community. Most of them seem to be female and models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: