Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailor made or off the shelf? Opinions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Tailor made or off the shelf? Opinions. Reply with quote

I've been in and around the Middle East for 20 years mainly working in Oil and Gas. Before that I was a Cambridge Assessor at a European university.

Currently, I make tailor made courses/materials for electrical, mechanical and instrumentation technicians and process operators. Here the need for tailor made courses is obvious.

However, with General English/exam prep programmes a lot of time is spent making courses and materials more culturally approriate but I see no real benefit in the learning outcomes with Arab learners. In fact, the best results I've ever seen were on the KET and PET programmes we did in Libya using off the shelf books.

What are your views on this?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customised materials work well for shorter courses where you are able to do a thorough needs analysis for your students. For courses above 200 hours, I think it would be a struggle to adapt/create material and I'd probably go for an off the shelf tome supplemented by customized materials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: