Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do you charge private students in Moscow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: How much do you charge private students in Moscow? Reply with quote

And what specific qualifications and experience are these students looking for in a teacher these days?
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on several things:

1) WHERE they want to study (i.e. which metro station and how far away from it). One should charge more if getting to a lesson involves taking a bus from Rechnoy Vokzal (for example) than walking from Arbatskaya to Shokoloadnitsa immediately outside.

2) WHEN they want to study. This will depend on one's own schedule, with evenings being busier

3) HOW OFTEN they want to study. One could offer a discount for more frequent lessons

4) HOW LONG they want to study per session. Self-explanatory, 60 mins cheaper than 90 mins

5) WHAT they want to study. Anything outside of general and conversational classes can command extra charges, e.g. preparing for IELTS/FCE etc, business/academic, etc.

Regarding qualifications, it seems not many students know so much about qualifications that a teacher SHOULD have. A CELTA or better would be preferable, although I'm fully aware of teachers who don't have such qualifications yet do an amazing job, and vice versa. It seems to be quite rare for a teacher to have a 'proper' qualification.

Of course, the more experience one has, the better, especially for the higher level students who need someone who can properly explain the nuances of languages. It seems most teachers in Moscow now would seriously struggle to teach much more than upper intermediate levels, due to the amount of 'fake' teachers out there.

Moscow seems to be overrun with native speakers who claim to teach English when they're usually a) exchange students who just want money to fund their expat lifestyle or b) so-called "teachers" who are more interested in dating/money than teaching or c) teachers of other subjects who think they can teach English purely on the basis of being a native speaker. I've taken on students who have had terrible experiences with natives who can't explain anything and charge far too much for their services.

Russians pretty much expect blood for their money (figuratively speaking), and will, unfortunately, use what seem like plausible excuses to get out of studying with someone they don't like. Also, the arrogance that natives often give off can put potential students off too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: