Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elementary or Primary Schools ESL positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammysez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Elementary or Primary Schools ESL positions Reply with quote

What does anyone know about working at the elementary or grade school ESL level?

Are the schools co-ed? Basic Hours? In the U.S. men are almost non-existent on the elementary level. How is that dealt with in the Middle East? If segregated, then male teachers would be required.

I noticed a salary, $4,000 to $5,000 USDollars.
Can you make that same salary in college education?

Anybody with experience teaching elementary in Saudi or UAE that can give some info?

Thanks
marierose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Elementary or Primary Schools ESL positions Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
What does anyone know about working at the elementary or grade school ESL level?

Are the schools co-ed? Basic Hours? In the U.S. men are almost non-existent on the elementary level. How is that dealt with in the Middle East? If segregated, then male teachers would be required.

Anybody with experience teaching elementary in Saudi or UAE that can give some info?

Thanks

THESE are the same MOE jobs everyones been telling people to avoid...so, avoid!
sammysez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone actually working in this position?

How bad could the discipline be for the elementary grades?
I can believe it for the older students.

Anyone in Abu Dhabi or the other cities?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
Anyone actually working in this position?

Which position?

Assuming you're referring to ADEC, you need to hold a current elementary teaching license (from the US, in your case), a relevant degree, and primary school experience gained post-licensure.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Elementary or Primary Schools ESL positions Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:

To work in schools one would need a teaching license. A background in teaching Sciences or Math would be most helpful. Language Arts or ESL would not be considered as important as a content area.

Co-education would depend on the school. Many international schools are co-educational, but some are segregated.

Most folks at the college level would make at least $4000 a month plus housing and benefits. However, I must admit that new hires are being offered less and less each year, so $4000 plus housing is probably optimistic for a new hire.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sammysez.

I live in Abu Dhabi. I teach at a language center, not in a school, but I can give you the scoop.

The public schools here are mostly gender segregated. Men teach at the boys schools, and women teach at the girls schools. The private schools are co-ed, and teachers can be of either gender. In an elementary school you would hired as a classroom teacher, not as an ESL teacher. You must have at least a Bachelor's degree and you must be teaching certified in your home country (which has to be the US, UK, Canada, Australia, or maybe South Africa). This became law about 4 or 5 years ago, I think and it is strictly enforced.

You can go to the ADEC website and look up the name of any school in Abu Dhabi, and it will tell you whether it's girl/boy/co-ed and what grades are taught at this school.

https://www.adec.ac.ae/School%20Finder%20Assets/eng/SchoolFinderV5_new.html#
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link gives you pretty good general information about school hours, etc.

https://www.teachaway.com/teaching-public-schools-abu-dhabi/abu-dhabi-faq
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: