Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RUNNER but now returning to UAE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: RUNNER but now returning to UAE? Reply with quote

Anybody else did a RUNNER and then returned to UAE?

Does anyone know or care?

Or do they just expect it with some of the jobs?

I was only there a few weeks. I see from all the posts nothing has changed with the MOE jobs, same situation all over. The company I was with, I"m sure they folded or no longer in UAE, I don't think they lasted long.
I see other postings and no, this would not show up on my new passport.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the following:

Quote:
Article 128 of UAE Labour Law which states, "Any non-national employee who absents himself from work without lawful reasons prior to the end of the contract for a limited period, may not take up employment elsewhere even with the consent of the employer for one year after the date on which he absented himself from duties. And no other employer who is aware of that may employ or keep such employee in his service during such period".

Source: http://www.thenational.ae/business/personal-finance/uae-employee-does-not-return-after-going-on-holiday-will-he-be-treated-as-an-absconder
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, make sure you don't have any debt.

Get debt, then you'll be liable for prison should even do a layover in Dubai.
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the company had to pay a "fine" each time there was a runner, of which, there were quite a few, just like here on the MOE posts.

I did have contact with the company once I left and they never mentioned that I owed any money etc. In fact they gave me my final paycheck. They actually were used to teachers running.

I left and just didn't go back. The company folded.

So would there be debt? Or with my name attached or did the company pay it in lieu of me ever returning?

I would think any of this would come up in a background check, because I've seen posts here, where people wait for quite some time on their backgrd checks. So I would assume that comes up before you even enter the country.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worldtraveller wrote:
So would there be debt? Or with my name attached or did the company pay it in lieu of me ever returning?

I doubt anyone here can answer that question. You'll have to apply and go thru the visa and background processes to find out if there are any outstanding financial obligations attached to your name.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't really know for sure until you passed that security check. No one can give you a definitive answer either way.

VS
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just idle curiosity, but if you hated working in the UAE so much that you ran out on your contract, why are you even considering coming back? It's a big world. Why not look for jobs in other places?
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed something in my post.

One bad job experience in a country, doesn't mean I hated working in the UAE, just the one position. And I think anyone would walk away with the same conclusion. Did you read the MOE posts on here? I think they are up to 14 pages of comments about the position.

If someone with experience could actually answer the post, that would be appreciated.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
You wouldn't really know for sure until you passed that security check. No one can give you a definitive answer either way.

VS

VS has answered your question. It really depends on the institution and their background checks. I've known several people who have left their jobs, on good terms and bad terms, and have gotten jobs and returned to the UAE. It is an employer's market right now, so you can only try and see how far you get.

I would suspect that the only "black list" which might exist is with what was the ministry of higher education (ZU, HCT and UAEU), and that would be internal for those institutions only.

Most HR Departments are now being Emiratized and many details slip under the radar in the shuffle of papers around the office desks.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: IMHO... Reply with quote

I would guess that you would know there was a problem once your new employer started paperwork. A number of years ago I visited the UAE, drove to Oman and back and then flew out of DXB. A few years passed, and I had a job offer in AD. The P.R.O. at my new place of employment said that I had fines pertaining to an overstayed visa. He went back and forth to immigration with with the relevant copies of my passport pages to prove that I had actually left when I said I did. It was all remedied at AUH when the man in immigration flipped through my passport several times.

I'll go out on a limb and say there aren't any fines against you related to leaving a visa improperly cancelled. Your old employer might have banned you from work under the old system, but if we're talking about years gone by, I suspect this is no longer in effect. On the off chance that they did report you and some red tape still remains, your new employer will be prevented from getting your a work visa. In other words, you'll know before you jump on the plane.

Since you did a runner, were all accounts (phone, bank, etc.) closed up before going? Did you owe the landlord any money (e.g. damages in excess of deposit)? These are the monetary concerns you need to be sure of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: