Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post graduate certification in English after a MA in TESOL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Definitely something to consider! Reply with quote

Ragmgar wrote:
Well the connections will be impossible to make during my two year exile to get post masters experience, Smile but certifications, especially in online education could be a positive and affordable step! Thanks to everyone as always, the forum has been giving me a lot to consider as I make my next steps.

Why is it required to leave to get experience, especially if your end goal is to get a job at home. These days many US employers are specifically requiring relevant ESL experience. I'd say it's best just to make it work in the US and spend that time building connections and gaining that specific experience, unless perhaps your debts are astronomical and you are nearly broke. Then it's off to Saudi with you to serve out your debtors' prison term. Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
Why is it required to leave to get experience, especially if your end goal is to get a job at home. These days many US employers are specifically requiring relevant ESL experience. I'd say it's best just to make it work in the US and spend that time building connections and gaining that specific experience.

It's not that simple. The best opportunities for networking are at state and national TESOL conferences/events and via participation in special interest groups. But if the OP wasn't an active member of these associations or never even joined, then moving forward, it will be tough to make connections that potentially lead to jobs. (BTW, I was networking as a TESOL affiliate member while still studying for my MAT.) Additionally, the OP may be from a state that has more applicants than TESOL jobs (usually adjunct positions) especially given the major drop in enrollment of students from the Mid East. That's the reality.
Ragmgar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote

Yea Kansas is a bit of a dry pool for ESL jobs at the moment and I have a job lined up in Japan. So I'm going to do the best I can with the situation, hopefully I can attend a few conferences during my vacations but who knows! I'm also hoping having experience and good references from teaching in South Korea, Colombia, China and Japan will make me look like a talented individual with experience with many cultures and not a wandering tramp.....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragmgar wrote:
... will make me look like a talented individual with experience with many cultures and not a wandering tramp.....

I interpreted "wandering tramp" as something else. Laughing

It's not about where you taught, but what you did. So don't overlook your professional development and continuing education as well as memberships in TESOL Int'l and JALT.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Definitely something to consider! Reply with quote

Ragmgar wrote:
Well the connections will be impossible to make during my two year exile to get post masters experience, Smile but certifications, especially in online education could be a positive and affordable step! Thanks to everyone as always, the forum has been giving me a lot to consider as I make my next steps.

Connections are EASY to make during the 2 years you take to do the MA.

Colleagues / fellow graduate students, professors, thesis advisors, people you meet at conferences you attend as a participant as part of the MA process, people who attend your presentations when you bring your research to a conference, readers of your papers (on-line journal publications, trade publications (less demanding that peer reviewed journals), etc ....

It is the folks who don't make connections during their post grad studies who have problems afterward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: