Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Married Status vs. Two Singles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSAbound

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Married Status vs. Two Singles Reply with quote

For a married couple with children, what might be the advantages/disadvantages of going for married status/teaching couple versus working for separate institutions on single status? Or one spouse is married status with children as dependents and one spouse is single? Are all these options even possible?

I've been told that government contracts will not allow you to double dip on the benefits (housing for example) but that private contracts do. Can one spouse be government contract and one spouse be private contract and both receive full benefits?

Any advice?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Married Status vs. Two Singles Reply with quote

I just responded on your other thread while you were posting this one.

Considering you have children, I suggest you both teach for the same employer --- one that hires both sexes --- so that your holiday and break times are in sync. Plus, they're likely to provide housing as opposed to a stipend.

You need to provide info about your nationalities and qualifications. It matters in terms of opportunities available to you and/or your spouse.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Married Status vs. Two Singles Reply with quote

KSAbound wrote:
For a married couple with children, what might be the advantages/disadvantages of going for married status/teaching couple versus working for separate institutions on single status? Or one spouse is married status with children as dependents and one spouse is single? Are all these options even possible?

I would say that this is not a possibility. The contract and visa would probably require that you state your marital status, and it is not advisable to get into a case of fraud with any employer in the Middle East.

A woman would not be able to meet openly or travel with an unrelated male, so you would have to go back to a clandestine relationship with your husband, which could be exciting, but might be stressful, particularly for the children. Even traveling to Dubai would need proof of marriage for many hotels. I would assume that the father would have custody of the children in such a charade, and the visas for the kids could get particularly sticky, as he would have to proof that he has custody or you would have to do this.

Then there are your colleagues, who may seem sympathetic to your situation at first, but are more than willing to climb the ladder and turn in anyone who is doing anything the least bit unethical.

All said and done, I would say that it is time to start on the authentication process of the marriage certificate.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some related threads:
KSAbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so you would have to go back to a clandestine relationship with your husband, which could be exciting, but might be stressful,"

Razz

Thanks for your replies! It is not our intention to hide anything / get over - just trying to see what is allowed and what is not. If, for example, a government direct hire provided a housing allowance to one spouse and another spouse worked for a private recruiter who provided them furnished housing, would the gov job care if their employee pocketed the housing?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If, for example, a government direct hire provided a housing allowance to one spouse and another spouse worked for a private recruiter who provided them furnished housing, would the gov job care if their employee pocketed the housing?

Yes, they do not allow double dipping...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSAbound wrote:
If, for example, a government direct hire provided a housing allowance to one spouse and another spouse worked for a private recruiter who provided them furnished housing, would the gov job care if their employee pocketed the housing?

The problem with working for a contracting company is that they generally bring teachers over as single/"bachelor" status, which equates to housing that is either a company-provided one-bedroom flat or an allowance sufficient for a single person. The majority of female teachers are put in company housing only (i.e., not given an allowance).

As mentioned, married couples are considered a family unit and not separate entities with different needs. In other words, you can't apply as single status on your Saudi visa application and then expect to live together as a family.

I rec'd your PM. Given your qualifications, I still suggest you both go with the same employer (preferably direct-hire) and state in your application packet(s) that you're married with X number of school-age dependents. Employers that provide housing should be able to accommodate a teaching couple with children. Just be aware that you limit yourself by focusing solely on universities in Riyadh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: