Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed: Question about salary/compensation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, I'm begging you, don't go and live any of your life - even a year or a few months - in or anywhere near Radom, regardless of the pathetic salary you're being offered.

Don't say you haven't been warned!
maniak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:

Just wondering how many of you work for the 'negotiate your hourly rate' type places and how many for the 'this is what we offer' types.

Besides the going rate mentioned, find out how much money your school makes and take it from there.

My students pay about 800zl a semester, which is about 39 classroom hours. Ive got 12 students, so that comes to 246zl an hour of revenue for the school... not bad eh?
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:

Just wondering how many of you work for the 'negotiate your hourly rate' type places and how many for the 'this is what we offer' types.

Pretty much every school that I've applied for... I now work for two different schools and do private in-company on the side. Both schools asked me about my expectations and I was able to find a fair middle ground.

From what I've seen 1zl/min net. is the going rate, but don't be afraid to negotiate.
Tracer

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundjstuart wrote:

Why work for a school and be treated like nothing when you can work for yourself and work on your own terms?

You got that right.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you have to travel around to different centres or businesses, make sure your travel time is paid too.

Last edited by depechemodefan1966 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

How you gonna get home on that salary? Mum and Dad?

I arrived in Poland in 95 and was there yesterday. Several old-timers are upping sticks and several have left recently. TEFL has been in decline since the 2000s in most parts of Poland.

Your salary offer is pitiful. It isn't cheap there.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
I don't know whay you're continuing to pursue this. Let me sum it up for you:
Radom is a dump. An absolute dump.
100 km's away in warsaw, you can earn 2/3x that salary.
The salary is pathetically small.

There you go. If this is your first job in Poland you might appreciate the security that having a job waiting for you will bring. The problem with this is, almost ALL of these jobs will underpay. The best way to get work, as mentioned a gazillion times before in this forum, is to hit the streets looking for it. If you want to teach with the academic year you have to be here at the right time. If you want to teach in company you can find work all year round in a number of towns in Poland. Please search under my name for a thread "looking for work" or somesuch I wrote yonks ago.

Some of that job offer is really daft - whay do you need a driver? Are you a VIP or will you be living 60km's away? I suspect the second, in which case you're going to be wasting 2 hours of your day commuting to work.
A school providing a flat - if that job goes wrong, you will be homeless.
teaching in and around Radom - hmm, the worst case scenario and most likely is that you won't be teaching 5 hours straight, but be travelling between centres. These centres are likely to be miles apart in surrounding satellite districts/towns.
Listen to this man. He speaks wisdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: