Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking Physics Position in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoosier Boss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Seeking Physics Position in UAE Reply with quote

Hello ESL Cafe:

I am trying to exhaust every avenue in finding an appropriate Physics Teacher position, preferably in Dubai but Abu Dhabi also on the list. I know that recruiters (and scammers) monitor this forum, so I thought I'd throw my hat in this ring in the hope of making contacts.

My current teaching certificate/license is with the New Zealand Teacher's Council. Previously I taught for 20 years in the US with an Indiana teacher's license. I have also been certified to teach Digital Electronics and Principles of Engineering through the US PLTW curriculum. I am 55 years old, have extensive classroom and some admin experience. I am interested in gaining more experience in IB and IGCSE. I am a really good teacher.

Any helpful, relevant and/or constructive replies welcome. Please PM me if interested in full CV. Will respond upon verification of legitimate intent. I have posted CV on the Job Wanted Resume Board.

Thanks--HB
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Boss wrote:
I know that recruiters (and scammers) monitor this forum.

Actually, they don't. And putting your CV on "job wanted" boards will likely net you lots of interest... from Chinese recruiters.

You have to be proactive. One way to look for UAE science jobs is via sites like Teach Away and Footprints. (The former mainly recruits for k12 jobs in the GCC.) Also, do a basic Internet search using physics teacher UAE. (I just did and a bunch of postings came up.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad is correct. Employers only come on here to see if any of the people on their CVs applying for EFL positions are posting here. LOL

Check out the two sites she mentioned and also search up the names of various international schools in the UAE and check out their websites for openings.

If you are in the US, check out the organizations that hold job fairs for international K-12 schools.

Be aware that you are quickly approaching the age where it will be difficult to be hired in the Gulf.

VS
Hoosier Boss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I have sent CVs to Teach Away, Teach Anywhere and Footprints. I have also been scouring school websites using Which School Advisor and Edarabia. I have sent many CVs, filled out many applications and hold hope in my heart. Smile

I am currently in New Zealand, not the US.

The comment about age has me concerned. I know 65 is the UAE cut off. At 55 and highly experienced, will I be on the losing end? I still have some fight left in me.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Boss wrote:
The comment about age has me concerned. I know 65 is the UAE cut off. At 55 and highly experienced, will I be on the losing end? I still have some fight left in me.

It may be a combination of your age and lack of Mid East experience. There may also be a different age requirement or preference for teaching k12.

I suggest you head over to the forum on International Schools Review and ask your age question there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Boss wrote:

All you can do is apply and see what happens. Few are hired in their late 50s without extensive Middle East experience. Almost no one is hired after 60.

If one gets hired, one can usually stay for as long as one can handle the job and one's health stays good. Of course, I'm referring to university level and the schools may be different.

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider China. With your qualifications, especially in Physics, I'd think
it would be a sure thing, and the salary would probably be better, enough to take regular vacations to Dubai. I also think that UAE students would have real problems with Physics, and hard science in general. It's work, something Emirati students are not strong on.

I know a Mexican engineer who is working in China at a car manufacturer. He has a fabulous salary, great housing, and extensive benefits for himself and family.

Also, Chinese see age as wisdom. You wouldn't have an age problem.

The Gulf is in a downward spiral, China, and the far east is the where the future
lies, especially in STEM, IMHO.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
I also think that UAE students would have real problems with Physics, and hard science in general. It's work, something Emirati students are not strong on.

The OP is licensed to teach native English speaking students as well as expat children from other countries. (Emiratis make up just 10% of the population of the UAE.)
Hoosier Boss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the input. More, please!

2 Buckets, thanks for your 2 cents worth. Though I am locked on to UAE, maybe I should seek other options. I am very . . . wise.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Boss wrote:
Though I am locked on to UAE, maybe I should seek other options. I am very . . . wise.

That's a wise idea given your age. In fact, try Hong Kong, if you're open to other areas. I suggest heading to both the China and Hong Kong forums. Mention all the sciences you can teach.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Boss wrote:
I really appreciate the input. More, please!

Did you get my PM? There's a good chance there, but things are are very "up in the air" right now, I believe that hiring might be "on hold", but there will be a need for STEM folks at some point, so get on the boat early.
Hoosier Boss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
putting your CV on "job wanted" boards will likely net you lots of interest... from Chinese recruiters.

You were certainly spot on about that. Three emails this morning alone!
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
2buckets wrote:
I also think that UAE students would have real problems with Physics, and hard science in general. It's work, something Emirati students are not strong on.

The OP is licensed to teach native English speaking students as well as expat children from other countries. (Emiratis make up just 10% of the population of the UAE.)

"Never mind"
Miss Emily Litella
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: