Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freelancing in Shanghai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BambooViper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Freelancing in Shanghai Reply with quote

It looks like we might be moving to Shanghai in a few months. I've been looking at advertised jobs and reading on here about uni teaching work in China.

I think my preference would be to freelance, but as I understand it, I would need to get a foreign expert certificate which I could only get through having a sponsored job + visa. Is that correct? I don't think I can work on a dependent visa like I currently do in HK.

I don't want to work full time because we would be moving with a two year old, but I'd prefer to work legally. So perhaps a uni job which only involves about 12 teaching hours would be a good option for me. Any thoughts on this plan? Any recommendations for where to start looking for this type of job?

Most of my background is in Business English, but I've been teaching professional and academic courses at a uni here for the past three years. I guess my CV is reasonable for China. Ideally, I'd like to pick up a few uni hours and do some in-company training then decide which offers the best combo of hours/pay/satisfaction/ease of commute etc.

Thanks!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard contract (SAFEA) calls for a max of 20 hours but mostly it's 14-16.
Marking and prep/planning is additional.
Yes you need a job offer from a qualified organisation to get a work (Z) visa which is then converted by your school to residence.
Managing your family responsibilities around fixed hours at a fixed location would be easier than schlepping around to do random gigs.
If you found spare time then privates is an option although I caution about contemplating this before you get your 9-5 stuff under control.
Your partner's employer will know far more about spouses working and may be able to suggest alternatives.
As far as I'm aware mere status as an accompanying spouse doesn't entitle you to work legally.
Best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: