Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree Authentication within China.. one last try

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoThomas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Degree Authentication within China.. one last try Reply with quote

Hey,

I asked this question previously, and all I got were people telling me to check other threads about degree authentication. I'll give it a go one more time asking my specific question that hasn't been answered in any of the other threads.

I currently work in Beijing. I am moving to Shanghai and need to get my degree authenticated while I am in Beijing (by June). I went to the Canadian Consulate with my original degree and they said all they could do was photocopy it and stamp it that it was a true original. My new school in Shanghai said that should work. Well I did that and scanned it off to Shanghai. The Shanghai school sent it off to get it checked by the Shanghai authorities, and then I found out today that it isn't good enough as being authenticated because it was stamped by the Consulate. Go figure right, because that is what I was told to do by my new school.

Now the new school's HR isn't really giving me any idea what to do. I know I can do it in Canada, but they are saying they need it soon and I won't be in Canada until July.

Has anyone ever had a degree authenticated in China? If so, how does it work?

Appreciate any insight. I am at a loss and both my current and future HR don't seem to be aware of the process.

Thanks
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question. I presumed that you would need to get it authenticated in your home country though?
I also presumed (wrongly I guess) than it was only needed for newbies. i.e. If you were changing positions in China, you didn't need to do this.
I feel your pain. Trying to get stuff like this done from China is a complete nightmare. I must look into getting mine done when I'm home in the Summer. Good luck!
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Degree Authentication within China.. one last try Reply with quote

JoThomas wrote:
Hey,

I asked this question previously, and all I got were people telling me to check other threads about degree authentication. I'll give it a go one more time asking my specific question that hasn't been answered in any of the other threads.

I currently work in Beijing. I am moving to Shanghai and need to get my degree authenticated while I am in Beijing (by June). I went to the Canadian Consulate with my original degree and they said all they could do was photocopy it and stamp it that it was a true original. My new school in Shanghai said that should work. Well I did that and scanned it off to Shanghai. The Shanghai school sent it off to get it checked by the Shanghai authorities, and then I found out today that it isn't good enough as being authenticated because it was stamped by the Consulate. Go figure right, because that is what I was told to do by my new school.

Now the new school's HR isn't really giving me any idea what to do. I know I can do it in Canada, but they are saying they need it soon and I won't be in Canada until July.

Has anyone ever had a degree authenticated in China? If so, how does it work?

Appreciate any insight. I am at a loss and both my current and future HR don't seem to be aware of the process.

Thanks

JoThomas, I did post about my experience doing this (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1260257&highlight=#1260257), but I was in Jiangsu Province when I did this. Not sure if it will work in Shanghai. I'm American so I can't say for sure this would work for all nationalities. I also did it last year, so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

But within Jiangsu Province, in 2016, as an American, I was able to go to a place in Nanjing that translated and authenticated my degree. I put the website in the thread I linked to in this post. It's a place called CSCSE. It took about 3 weeks. They have offices (so I'm told since I don't read Chinese) in many parts of Jiangsu, not sure about other provinces. Maybe someone at your new school can call them and see if they are able to help you in Shanghai.
JoThomas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Thanks, I appreciate the empathy. Best of luck as well!

^Thanks, I checked that thread, but the link is broken. I'm supposed to speak to the new school tomorrow, so I'll see what they say. I'm at the point that if this is to much of a hassle or they don't seem to know what to do... of just not bothering going to the school. I didn't sign a contract yet, just a letter of intent. After a lot of frustrations with paperwork I feel like I want to just get the heck out of China to be honest.

If I figure it out, I'll let people know if they have to do the same thing as myself.
Adeem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Do you have the cash or time to send it back to Canada to get sorted?

http://ottawaprocessserver.ca/document-legalization/?gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFeNXYx_1fOSn93Q7BDLNuqyuKRsbnGQQd3tlZZsv3WxoCHY_w_wcB

A quick search found a company that will sort everything regarding a degree certificate for between $150-200 CAD.

It is not cheap, but maybe this is the best way, and it should be able to be done quite quickly.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jo,

Good luck to you from a fellow Canuck. I feel your pain being there and trying to get this degree verification done.

I guess I am somewhat fortunate I am back in Toronto and had time to go thru the process here, but still a lot of pinball action and jumping around.

I am not sure exactly sure what issues they are saying there but my guess is that the second stage in this process is holding you up?

After a lawyer notarizes the degree, they want either the Fed or provincial body where you reside to certify the seal is true on your degree (that is the lawyer is registered in the province whom he/she is located and currently active). Then you take both degree and certification to Toronto Consulate and they put a stamp on the back of the provincial document. I had this done more than a month ago, I just hope it gets accepted uniformly no matter what future school/province I work in China.

If you are in China, who does the 2nd stage?
I suggest Fedexing your degree and see if a family member or agent can do this right quick.
JoThomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Thanks Adeem! I have contacted them by email to see if it is possible to do it through them.

^Cheers, astro. I also think it would be so much easier to do it in Canada this summer. They seem to want to have it done by June, so that when I go back in July it will be easier for them to just transfer the visa.
I don't know about the second stage here. Most people who I know who have secured a position with another school in China are unsure about how to get the degree authentication within China. I may just end up telling my new school that I'll do it in Canada.

Astro, do you mind me asking, how long it took you to get all of it done including notarizing the degree, going to the consulate, etc?
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

A had to take time off work here so it took me about 2 and 1/2 weeks and I am in Toronto so the everything was close by, lawyer, ODS office and Consulate, all downtown.

So the fastest turn around time for somebody in Toronto, is 1 day for both getting the lawyer's seal in the morning (if appointment can be had) then rushing towards the ODS office in the afternoon. (close here at 5pm). You can wait at the ODS office to pick up their certification, only about 20 minutes.
Official Documents Services
Main Floor
222 Jarvis St
Toronto ON M7A 0B6

Tel: 416-325-8416

Then no appointment necessary the next day only M-F get to the consulate when they open by 9AM. They only have a 3 hour window each weekday and the place is packed, but the authentication windows 3 and 4 are usually not busy. Get everything ready b4 hand, your ODS docs need to be fully photocopied, the application form for Consulate authentication is already in the stacks of forms at the back of the windows, grab it and fill it there. They also have a photocopy machine there so no need to worry.

Bring all originals degree/passport, they want to see but they only take the photocopies of the ODS certificate that is bundled with your lawyer's sealed degree and copy of passport they take as well but not the original. After they accepted your docs, they give you a receipt where it indicates 4 business days after you can come and collect your docs with their stamp on it. Think I paid $30 or something.
They have an express service but forgot how long nor charge.

So fastest maybe 1 and 1/2 weeks?
JoThomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Cheers for the information. This could also help others on here.

Adeem wrote:
Hiya,

Do you have the cash or time to send it back to Canada to get sorted?

http://ottawaprocessserver.ca/document-legalization/?gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFeNXYx_1fOSn93Q7BDLNuqyuKRsbnGQQd3tlZZsv3WxoCHY_w_wcB

A quick search found a company that will sort everything regarding a degree certificate for between $150-200 CAD.

It is not cheap, but maybe this is the best way, and it should be able to be done quite quickly.

Thanks so so much for this information. I never thought to look into this route. I've been in contact with them all day and I will courier my documents to them in a few days. According to them, I should get it back in a week or so after they get my documents. Hopefully it works out. I also found out my future school will reimburse me for the costs of this process... which is excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: