Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semi retirement at 36

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corporate Burnout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Semi retirement at 36 Reply with quote

What's up everyone?

I know I'm probably going to get roasted for this one but I thought I'd ask anyway. I want to retire in Vietnam but I'm not sure about the cost of living over there. I have a decent amount of cash saved up but nowhere near able to live off of it here in the states at my current age.

So I guess my question is how much can one live on a month in HCMC in a cheap one room, frugal living, don't drink, don't drink coffee, I do smoke, just like to chill and read books and mess around on my computer.

Thanks.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how much can one live on a month in HCMC in a cheap one room, frugal living, don't drink

A grand is a rough estimate: $300 for rent, $20 a day. Less is possible.

You need to add in transportation: taxis and xe om vs. renting/buying a motorbike.

Not sure why you mention HCMC. Other than Ha Noi, most any other place is going to be cheaper. Also, VN has approx. 3,500 km of coastline with a number of cities and towns.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Semi retirement at 36 Reply with quote

Corporate Burnout wrote:
What's up everyone?

I know I'm probably going to get roasted for this one but I thought I'd ask anyway. I want to retire in Vietnam but I'm not sure about the cost of living over there. I have a decent amount of cash saved up but nowhere near able to live off of it here in the states at my current age.

So I guess my question is how much can one live on a month in HCMC in a cheap one room, frugal living, don't drink, don't drink coffee, I do smoke, just like to chill and read books and mess around on my computer.

Thanks.

I'm not in Vietnam but I've spoken to a lot of expats in HCM in they were saying that you can live as cheaply as $700 per month.
Corporate Burnout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sigmoid"]
Quote:

Not sure why you mention HCMC. Other than Ha Noi, most any other place is going to be cheaper. Also, VN has approx. 3,500 km of coastline with a number of cities and towns.

The reason why I mention HCMC and really the only reason I'm considering Vietnam is my cousin just moved there. Now you ask why didn't I just ask him how much it costs to live there? Well he grew up a very different lifestyle than I did, his parents bought him a new corvette at 16 for example. His answer to me was "I don't know how much things are, I just get more money and pay for it."

So he's not the best judge of frugal living, I worked hard for what I have and have to be smart with it.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is ho chi minh expat group on facebook and they will give you a lot better answer than on here.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate Burnout wrote:
Well he grew up a very different lifestyle than I did, his parents bought him a new corvette at 16 for example. His answer to me was "I don't know how much things are, I just get more money and pay for it."

So he's not the best judge of frugal living, I worked hard for what I have and have to be smart with it.

That's going to be a tough guy to hang around with (cousin or not) if you are on a tight budget (unless he's willing to pay for everything!).
Piscador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered one of the regional centers? I left HCMC after more than a decade there to move to a central coastal location. I find the lifestyle here so much more relaxed and the cost of living is much lower. You could easily live on around USD500 here for day-to-day expenses.

PM me for more details if you're interested.
Corporate Burnout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
Corporate Burnout wrote:
Well he grew up a very different lifestyle than I did, his parents bought him a new corvette at 16 for example. His answer to me was "I don't know how much things are, I just get more money and pay for it."

That's going to be a tough guy to hang around with (cousin or not) if you are on a tight budget (unless he's willing to pay for everything!).

Yeah it's not gonna be easy, I figure I'll stay with him for about a year to get used to the place and then move somewhere cheaper.
Corporate Burnout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piscador wrote:
Have you considered one of the regional centers? I left HCMC after more than a decade there to move to a central coastal location. I find the lifestyle here so much more relaxed and the cost of living is much lower. You could easily live on around USD500 here for day-to-day expenses.

PM me for more details if you're interested.

PM just sent. Thanks!
airapets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: 700 a month? 500 a month? How about 250 a month? Reply with quote

I lived in Nha Trang for more than a year in a two-room fully furnished apartment. Full kitchen, bathroom, washing machine, living room, and bedroom. This includes food, utilities(water, electricity, internet, cell-phone), daily necessities for the bathroom, etc... The apartment was about a kilometer from the beach. While the airconditioning was on perhaps more than other places, even including that, monthly expenses was never more than 250USD. Using Zalo or Facebook you could find some students to tutor. Additionally, there are a few schools there, mainly "international," which are looking for teachers on occasion.
Corporate Burnout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 700 a month? 500 a month? How about 250 a month? Reply with quote

airapets wrote:
I lived in Nha Trang for more than a year in a two-room fully furnished apartment. Full kitchen, bathroom, washing machine, living room, and bedroom. This includes food, utilities(water, electricity, internet, cell-phone), daily necessities for the bathroom, etc... The apartment was about a kilometer from the beach. While the airconditioning was on perhaps more than other places, even including that, monthly expenses was never more than 250USD. Using Zalo or Facebook you could find some students to tutor. Additionally, there are a few schools there, mainly "international," which are looking for teachers on occasion.

Yeah I think this is more my style than HCMC. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: