Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 or 4 year Batchelor Degree?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffwode

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: 3 or 4 year Batchelor Degree? Reply with quote

Hi

I am planning on applying for a BA in English. It is a 3 year course. I already have a CELTA. I intend to teach in Vietnam once qualified.

Whilst googling I saw mention of the need for a 4 year degree, either for a work VISA, or to get the better paid teaching positions.

Looking at the leading school websites, however, I can only see a requirement for a 3 year degree.

Does anyone know if choosing a 3 year degree would hinder me at all? If not in Vietnam, then perhaps elsewhere?

Thanks

Alex
tellersquill

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A three year degree is fine.

I'm not sure the exact reason why, but Americans study for their bachelors over fours years, whereas Brits study for three years.
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My degree certificate does not mention when I started the degree, only when I was awarded it. How will anyone know how long it took?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4 year degree just means a Bachelors degree. It doesn't matter if you complete it in 2 years. It largely stems from the confusion between college and university degrees here in Vietnam. College degrees are just 2 year vocational degrees, and university degrees are all 4 years and considered the "real" degrees.

Try talking to a Vietnamese person about the different degrees we have in the west, and they cannot comprehend it. "What do you mean, there is a 2 year Associates degree in America?" It blows their mind.
geoffwode

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much everyone for clarifying. Can happily put my degree application in now Smile
tellersquill

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that they do not care about degree classification?

I mean, one guy could have a third from Derby study media and another could have a first from Oxford studying Mathematics and they would both be treated the same.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3 or 4 year Batchelor Degree? Reply with quote

geoffwode wrote:
Hi

I am planning on applying for a BA in English. It is a 3 year course. I already have a CELTA. I intend to teach in Vietnam once qualified.

Whilst googling I saw mention of the need for a 4 year degree, either for a work VISA, or to get the better paid teaching positions.

Looking at the leading school websites, however, I can only see a requirement for a 3 year degree.

Does anyone know if choosing a 3 year degree would hinder me at all? If not in Vietnam, then perhaps elsewhere?

Thanks

Alex

Provided the parchment reads "Bachelor of _______" it doesn't matter if you complete it in 3 4 or 6 years. The requirement actually reads "education to the bachelor degree level".

The same is true for the majority of EFL jobs in Asia (at least those that come with a proper visa and/or permits).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: