Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Past Experiences with Al Nawa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Al Nawa Reply with quote

May I ask how you know it was a 'successful' interview? Did they tell you directly, or just intimate it.

I had a Skype interview one Sunday last August and they told me they'd let me know the result at the end of the day. I am STILL waiting for the courtesy of their reply.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.

They replied by email and asked me to fill in a form with my preferences for location and allowances like accommodation, flights and transport
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Al Nawa Reply with quote

They did ask me for location preference in the interview, so that may be more hopeful in your case. One thing I don't like (and it's quite petty but revealing about their mindset) is that they will organize 'hotel' accommodation for the first week or so if you are seeking your own accommodation, but they will take this out of your salary. At least that was the position in 2016.

For the relatively modest amount of money this costs them, it's quite petty.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Al Nawa Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:

For the relatively modest amount of money this costs them, it's quite petty.

Considering that they are going to have their hand in your pocket and are going to be taking a not unsubstantial chunk of your salary every month then, yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to pay for a few days in a hotel when you first arrive. However, my understanding is that Al Nawa only got the contract from Hawthorn in the first place because they under bid. I was actually sorry to hear that Hawthorn lost it, because I thought they deserved to stay on. Anyway, the Ministry wanted a race to the bottom, they got it, Al Nawa won and now they have to keep their costs down. Unfortunately, that is going to impact teachers.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hotel accommodation can be quite a hit into your money-if staying somewhere decent......if you are being placed 'out in the sticks' most towns will have an indian managed 'hotel apartment' set-up, which would probably be the cheapest bet-but you are still looking at around $40 a night. Hawthorn used to provide a little 'perk' for it's staff-at least those located in Ibri they did, a free nights accommodation [once a moth] at a hotel [that they owned?] in Muscat. Doubt Nawa provide anything like this....
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
That hotel accommodation can be quite a hit into your money-if staying somewhere decent......if you are being placed 'out in the sticks' most towns will have an indian managed 'hotel apartment' set-up, which would probably be the cheapest bet-but you are still looking at around $40 a night. Hawthorn used to provide a little 'perk' for it's staff-at least those located in Ibri they did, a free nights accommodation [once a moth] at a hotel [that they owned?] in Muscat. Doubt Nawa provide anything like this....

Uh huh. The hotel in Muscat was owned by Hawthorn. It was quite nice, but, I didn't particularly care for the location. It was right in the heart of the industrial area. Anyway, Hawthorn paid for and arranged, from memory, four nights accommodation in hotels when I first arrived in Oman (one night in Muscat and three in Salalah).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: