Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to begin???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmensharpe

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Where to begin??? Reply with quote

Hello!
I am currently teaching in Japan and my contract will soon be coming to an end. I like it here, don't love it... so I won't be renewing my contract. I would like to go to Indonesia.
When having accepted this job I currently have, I accepted the first thing that came along and didn't do much research. I soon learnt that there were so many more options available and would have probably chose a different city to live in had I done more research. (At the time I was more like, I'll love anything! I just want an adventure!)
I've been to Bali before on a vacation and loved it, however I do know going on a holiday and living somewhere are very different things.

So questions:
1- Best cities in Indonesia to live in?
2 - Who are the main companies offering ESL positions?
3 - Minimal salary to expect?
4 - Suggestions of recruiting websites
5 - Anything else you feel you would like to share, like " I wish I knew before I came..."

I am a 30 year old female South African, Bachelors degree, CELTA qualification with just under a year of teaching English abroad experience.

Thanks
jaybet3

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Indo Jobs Reply with quote

Bali is not Indonesia. You are correct. Most jobs will be in Jakarta which is an overcrowded, traffic-jam nightmare. Salaries will be higher, but so will your cost of living.

If you do find a job in Jakarta, it would be helpful if your employer offered you housing as well. If not, find something close to work so you don't spend a chunk of your day breathing exhaust fumes as you commute.

Best cities: I've heard good things about Bandung but never lived there. Surabaya is like Jakarta. Very crowded. Jogja might be okay, but I don't know the language school market. I live in Solo and there are only two private language schools. EF and IELC?

I've read good things about KELT.

Under, "I wish I knew" ... you might find the things you don't like about Japan will be the same things you don't like about Indonesia.

Do some research. There's lots of info out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: