Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BRIDGE Chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollolight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: BRIDGE Chile Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about BRIDGE in Santiago Chile.

I have just received some information from them but it doesn't add up.

For example, the contract they offer is for only 36 hours a month and state that they 'may' be able to help with visa costs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
GFish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in contact with them and have a Skype interview soon.

There are a few things I am curious about as well, but at the very least, they've been both professional and prompt with dealing with me, and that is a good sign.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: press them o the visa proess.. Reply with quote

First off, if they "might be ale to help you with the visa costs.." you are paying for it. So decide if you can live with that.

But the main issue isn't the cost; it's the proces.

Be 100% sure you know what perwork you need, what they need to file the paperwork spossoring you and the total time frame on each step. Ask them about the process and read the Chilean embassy's website-- NOT "Becky Morgan's blog; the low down on teaching in Chile.. section 3: visa fun"!!-- to mke sure everything adds up and that you will be issued a real work visa if you complete the process.
hhqassem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: BRIDGE Chile Reply with quote

Any updates about Bridge Chile from any of you guys? Any positive or negative feedback?

I see it has been a year almost since this last post and was curious about Bridge Chile. I have my interview with them next week and so far, they seem very prompt and professional. Everything seems to be flowing in the right direction. But I wanted to know what you guys thought of them before I get too excited.
Emdii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: BRIDGE Chile Reply with quote

hhqassem wrote:
Any updates about Bridge Chile from any of you guys? Any positive or negative feedback?

I see it has been a year almost since this last post and was curious about Bridge Chile. I have my interview with them next week and so far, they seem very prompt and professional. Everything seems to be flowing in the right direction. But I wanted to know what you guys thought of them before I get too excited.

How was your interview?

I'd be interested in knowing more about them myself.
hhqassem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview went well. You won't get paid that much (as is the case with most positions in Latin America). Accommodation isn't included, so that will eat up more of your already low salary. But like the person interviewing me said, people go in it for the experience and the richness the country has to offer more than anything else.

The good news is you're not working that many hours, which gives you the time and luxury to make side income by giving private tutoring sessions. So the possibility of making more is there, but you would just have to hustle a bit.

Visa cost for Chile is pretty low ($15). Not sure why covering the visa cost was brought up as an issue.

The guy interviewing you, who will also be your manager (he's from the UK), is very friendly and has a positive and upbeat attitude. He's also very professional and will give you all the details and answers you need.

I see that Bridge Chile just posted a job post here on eslcafe a couple of days ago, so I guess they're definitely in need of some teachers. Good luck.[/quote][/code]
jachile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: visa costs in Chile Reply with quote

Visa costs have recently skyrocketed here. We were told by both Bridge and Dynamic that, if you're from the USA, expect to pay $500-$800 (depending on how fast you want it processed).

The good news is that it isn't taking as long as it used to but could still be several months.

Our experience so far is that language companies will give you a written offer of employment so you can start the visa process, which you must do in the first week of employment.

As to how much of the cost they will cover, we'll see.
hhqassem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange because during the interview, he never mentioned to me that visa costs would be that high. As a matter of fact, he told me that it would exactly be $15. Then again, I'm not from the US, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference visa cost wise. Hmmmmmm......
jachile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: visa costs in Chile Reply with quote

Where you are from makes a huge difference in the cost - more info here

http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/2015/03/45778.pdf
hhqassem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see in that document "Egipto" (Egypt) is $15 like he said so I guess he ain't lyin Very Happy
Emdii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhqassem wrote:
The interview went well. You won't get paid that much (as is the case with most positions in Latin America). Accommodation isn't included, so that will eat up more of your already low salary. But like the person interviewing me said, people go in it for the experience and the richness the country has to offer more than anything else.

The good news is you're not working that many hours, which gives you the time and luxury to make side income by giving private tutoring sessions. So the possibility of making more is there, but you would just have to hustle a bit.

Visa cost for Chile is pretty low ($15). Not sure why covering the visa cost was brought up as an issue.

The guy interviewing you, who will also be your manager (he's from the UK), is very friendly and has a positive and upbeat attitude. He's also very professional and will give you all the details and answers you need.

I see that Bridge Chile just posted a job post here on eslcafe a couple of days ago, so I guess they're definitely in need of some teachers. Good luck.
[/code][/quote]

Thanks for the info! I am American, so if they don't cover the visa, it doesn't seem worth it. (At least I'm not British! Wink )

Did he say how many hours exactly? I know pay is low, but if side work's an option, it shouldn't be an issue for us.
hhqassem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said you would be working anywhere from 20-25 hours per week, and that will accumulate to a total salary between 400,000-500,000 Chilean Pesos a month. This I think comes out to 600-800 USD a month. Not to mention you still have to pay for accommodation and utilities. This is the case for teaching jobs in South America in general though, not just Chile. So do expect to live check to check and not save a single dime while you're there. Make sure you have a nice stash saved in your bank account in case of emergency or if something happens (God forbid).

Since you work very short hours, you will have a lot of time to tutor privately. He did tell me that there is a very high demand for private English tutors, and you don't have to speak Spanish to give private lessons. So there's that.

I'm not sure why visa fees are so high for Americans. If that was the case for Egyptians I highly doubt I would have accepted the position either. I'm not sure how visa fees vary throughout other countries in South America, although I heard Colombia does have a lot of westerners working there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
GFish

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridge (and Chile) can be tough, people definitely don't come here to make money. Some people I know do, but they are really aggressive self-sellers, who usually have a good level of Spanish.

But it is not a scam or something, its very professionally run, it is just that most people who come here come here to work on there Spanish, explore the country, build up experience...and the jobs here involve a lot of "living like college students".

You can PM me if you have any questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: