Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heart Corporation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synbeloved

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts and info guys. You guys really helped me a lot.

I wanted to go to Japan because I love that place. I have visited that country more than 10 times in my life. In addition, I love English as well, which is why I enrolled in English Language and Literature. That is why I wanted to live and work in Japan. However, after reading the many posts here in this forum, I've come to realize that working and living there isn't really all fine and dandy. There are so many corrupt companies that try to take every dime you earn, leaving you to struggle to live in Japan unless you find a second job. I guess I should forget my dream of living and working in Japan for now. Hopefully the English teaching industry becomes better in future.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synbeloved wrote:

I wanted to go to Japan because I love that place. I have visited that country more than 10 times in my life. In addition, I love English as well, which is why I enrolled in English Language and Literature. That is why I wanted to live and work in Japan. However, after reading the many posts here in this forum, I've come to realize that working and living there isn't really all fine and dandy. There are so many corrupt companies that try to take every dime you earn, leaving you to struggle to live in Japan unless you find a second job. I guess I should forget my dream of living and working in Japan for now. Hopefully the English teaching industry becomes better in future.

Again, do you qualify for the Jet Program? They ARE a good employer, and working for them can open doors to even better positions.

The only way the English teaching industry in Japan will ever improve is if qualified people stop applying for/accepting crap jobs with places like Interac and Heart. As long as good people continue to work for them, they will remain (very) profitable...and yet continue to be able to underbid the better employers for government contracts.
natsume

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that the JET program is a very good way to go, although also a crap shoot in terms of placement. If you are willing to go anywhere, then it can definitely be worth it. Pay very good considering how low-stress and supported JETs are once they are in. I know they changed the pay to a tiered system, new JETs will be making less than I did, it goes up with renewed years, but it still seems far preferable and a far cry from the insecurity and BS plaguing contracting companies and eikaiwa.

The application/selection process is mysterious and yields mysterious results, judging by some of the fellow JETs I encountered while on the program.
kkiwi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Try for JET Reply with quote

I agree that JET is great for starting out in Japan. Although you have no control over where you are placed if you make it through the application process AND it's quite a long wait to find out even if you've been accepted. But it is a well supported ALT position and you will get help with everything you need while living in Japan.

Check into the application process early because there are lots of documents and forms to fill out. Application deadline is very early December.

There are also good conversation schools out there, you just need to do background research. Don't forget people often don't write about good experiences here...

Good luck and don't give up on Japan.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synbeloved wrote:

If you can financially do it go over there and you can always switch jobs if you don't like them.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether the OP is still checking this, but whether or not you should take up these kinds of low-paid, entry-level jobs in ALT or eikaiwa depends in part on whether you want to just spend a year or so in Japan to see the country and go travelling, or are thinking of spending longer in the country. If it's the former, then you can lower the bar on the kinds of employers you apply to. Working for an ALT dispatch company or eikaiwa as a regular instructor is usually survivable for a year or so, and you'll probably make (just) enough cash to get by on and see Japan.

If you're thinking of staying longer term, you need to think more about where you want to be with your career, and plan accordingly. The reality of working for these eikaiwa and ALT companies longer term is that, as a regular teacher, your pay and conditions are poor, and job security weak, even more so now that companies will probably be terminating people's contracts after 5 years of employment with them, due to a new law that came into effect in 2013. Some people get promotions to "senior teacher" or supervising jobs, which pay better and may have a bit better job security in the long run. The big eikaiwa have other parts of the business you can be employed in, such as training new instructors, or designing in-house materials.

There are other ways of coming to Japan as a teacher, such as getting qualified to teach at elementary or high school level and working in an international school, a "direct hire" with a BoE or private school, or getting a Master's and working at a university. It's worth thinking about getting into a career in your home country first, and then applying for a job in Japan in that field (getting some language skills under your belt would also help), then you can be building your longer term career while you're in Japan, rather than suspending that by taking on a low-paid ALT or eikaiwa job that may not be the career you want to pursue in the long run.

Be aware that, as many people have pointed out, these "bog standard" ALT and eikaiwa instructor jobs are pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as jobs in Japan go for foreigners, and some of these companies behave in a disreputable and criminal way. They're essentially money-making operations for the people that finance them, looking to exploit their staff, keeping pay and conditions low whilst fleecing as much money as possible off the customers. Lots of people have bad stories to tell about working in Japan, myself included, but I think these negative stories and impressions tend to come from people who've worked in the country for longer and seen and experienced more of the reality of it. If you're just looking to spend a shorter period of time in Japan, it probably won't affect you so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: