Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the five most desirable cities in Colombia?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: What are the five most desirable cities in Colombia?... Reply with quote

...And your responses may be as wholly subjective as you like. Please include your take on the ESL gig situation.
jkazz7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what interests you....

I'm in Medellin and I think it's great - the weather, transport, people, activities, gyms, etc....

I was in Bogota for only a week; it's a beautiful place surrounded by mountains, but it's a bit cooler and rainier there. I wouldn't want to live there because it rains more....

Beyond this, you'll need to give some thought to the types of things that you like....my top 5 would be different from yours....
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only visited Bogota - regret not taking the time to tour about but hope to next year.

Coming from Mexico City, I enjoyed Bogota a lot more than I expected. I found the people to be friendly and ever quick to strike up a conversation. The weather was odd with sun, rain, sun, rain every few minutes, but I like that sort of thing.

Didn't like the food all that much but I wasn't expecting much nor did I starve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali would be up there for partying and having fun. Bogota is quite boring in comparison.. and wouldn't be in my top five.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. MedellĂ­n - Best overall city in Colombia, but ESL jobs aren't plentiful relative to the number of people looking.
2. Cali - Parties, gorgeous women, and not too many native English speakers there. Brush up on your salsa.
3. Bucaramanga (my city) - I can count on one hand the number of foreigners I've met here in 6 months, but it's a small city without many job opportunities. Lovely weather and people.
4. Bogotá - The capital. Expensive. The weather is a turnoff for most, but finding a job would be as easy as getting out of bed this morning I'd imagine.
5. Cartagena - Expensive, but if you want a beach city in Colombia where you can find a job, this will probably be it. This is like Colombia's version of Las Vegas.

Honorable Mention: Santa Marta. Almost nothing in terms of jobs, but Parque Tayrona is one of the must-see attractions in Colombia.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been living in and around Bogota for 3 years. I have taken frequent trips around the country including many to Medellin. Medellin is the superior city and I would recommend any foreigner to try that city first. The climate is better, food is better, transportation is far superior (no contest) and there are more things to do in and around the city. You will likely get paid less than in Bogota but cost of living is much lower. Oh, and the people are just, well, better and more cultured. I have gotten to know a lot of Colombians (hell I even married one from Bogota) and once you get to know a rolo well, most will tell you, Paisas are the kindest/best people in Colombia. My wife admits it.

1. Medellin
2. Manizales
6. Cartagena
7. Bucaramanga
11. Bogota

I do that not because those numbers (between 3 and 5 and 8 to 10) are blanks but to demonstrate that Medellin and Manizales are just much better cities. I mean, unless you like cold people shoving as they get on and off the Transmilenio as you also cope with constant rain, than by all means, have at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: