Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Tajikistan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKrow

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Teaching in Tajikistan? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the Forums and new to TFL teaching.

I'm wondering if anyone has any current or recent experience teaching in Tajikistan?

I'd like to go but wasn't sure what sort of problems I might run into.

A couple of specific questions I have:

Is it best to go there and see the schools, meet the management, etc. rather than trying to secure a job beforehand?

And, is it wiser to do a short stint with a school before committing to a longer term contract?

Thank you for any suggestions, advice or warnings... Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to know your qualifications.
MKrow

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done some TFL teaching and tutoring in Turkey and in Cambodia, working with adults.
I've done university studies up to a master's level - in both humanities and social sciences.
I'll be starting CELTA training in a month.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some useful in a related thread from a couple of years ago: Teaching in Tajikistan (before it goes off topic).

I've not taught in Tajikistan, but based on some of the job ads (e.g., flights are either provided or reimbursed), it seems you could apply for ads from abroad. However, your lack of post-CELTA teaching experience puts you at a disadvantage unless you come across a job ad targeting newbie teachers. Certainly apply anyway. But in order to bump your chances for successful employment, consider teaching elsewhere in order to gain experience before heading to Tajikistan.
MKrow

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took a look at the thread you mentioned before I posted my question and it looks like at least some of the schools mentioned may not be around anymore.

With respect to doing some teaching in another country before heading to Tajikistan, that has actually been the plan.

I've already been looking into it and gotten some information and contacts. Good to hear that that strategy may not be the worst one!

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: