Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone heard of visa rule changes for June 2017?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
water rat

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Has anyone heard of visa rule changes for June 2017? Reply with quote

I already signed a contract for a new gig in another province. Now they are telling me the deal is off because they wanted to take care of my visa before their summer break at the end of June and now there's no time and that unless one is in the same province as this past year it's going to be difficult to get a new Z visa from June onward. Does anyone else know anything about this? And can you think of an easy way to change jobs and provinces without leaving the country?

Last edited by water rat on Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Modernist

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a thread about it a few days ago. It's the same for me. Changing provinces, they said at first I'd have to go back to the home country to get a new Z visa. When confronted with what I could describe as a half-panicked, half-resolute, there's no way that's happening response from me, they decided that the local FEB/PSB would permit it to be only leave the country to go to HK or another Asian country. But a new Z visa, issued from an embassy abroad, would be mandatory.

I'm assuming you might also be facing the issue of the multiweek gap between the end of your current WP and the new contract start date. It seems that now, straight transfers of WPs between provinces cannot be done if there is more than X time between contracts, where is X is a number someone knows but won't tell any foreigners about.

Luckily, I have all my documents in order, including a national level criminal check in hand, and my new school will accept a health check done in my current city's Entry-Exit Bureau medical facility. So it should be okay, if somewhat more difficult than I thought. I was planning a trip over the summer as well, so I plan to do it then. I've asked my school to cover the cost of the new visa and I expect they will agree.

People planning to switch provinces should be aware of this and don't wait too long to find a new position. If you wait too long it may be impossible to make a move.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a somewhat similar position but now have a new residency permit and everything is sorted. The new employer managed to sort things out, no idea how. The new job is in a different province.

My current residency permit ended the day my contract ended - June the 29th. (I think everyone in my province has this from the people I've talked to). Pretty annoying as it doesn't leave time to get things ready for a departure or change jobs easily. And if this is true about job changing to different provinces it could be even more bothersome.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bear wrote:
My current residency permit ended the day my contract ended - June the 29th. (I think everyone in my province has this from the people I've talked to). Pretty annoying as it doesn't leave time to get things ready for a departure or change jobs easily. And if this is true about job changing to different provinces it could be even more bothersome.

I'm planning to sign on for year six with the same uni, so hopefully I won't have to jump through hoops to get the RP renewed, but I did notice that my current RP ends on the very last day of the semester. This is the first time they've done this. Usually the RP ends about two weeks after the end of the semester, giving one plenty of time to pack suitcases and say ones goodbyes if moving to pastures new. If I was planning to leave China or even move to a new city I would likely be leaving a large pile of unmarked exam papers behind since I would need to vacate the uni provided apartment before the last day of the contract. Strange times indeed. I'm in Guangdong by the way.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
The bear wrote:

I'm planning to sign on for year six with the same uni, so hopefully I won't have to jump through hoops to get the RP renewed, but I did notice that my current RP ends on the very last day of the semester. This is the first time they've done this. Usually the RP ends about two weeks after the end of the semester, giving one plenty of time to pack suitcases and say ones goodbyes if moving to pastures new. If I was planning to leave China or even move to a new city I would likely be leaving a large pile of unmarked exam papers behind since I would need to vacate the uni provided apartment before the last day of the contract. Strange times indeed. I'm in Guangdong by the way.

Hubei here.

My last class is Wednesday of week 18, my contract and RP ends Saturday week 18. I will give my exams in weeks 17 and 18. When I submitted my syllabus to the teaching affairs office they said words to the effect 'but there should be 18 teaching weeks. You know, other teachers give their tests after teaching'. I politely but firmly told him that my residency permit ends on the Saturday, I will be leaving China on the Friday. I am not willing to stay for longer/illegally for something as trivial as freshmen oral English tests solely due to lack of foresight/planning (which is very common here).
JoThomas

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone heard of visa rule changes for June 2017? Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
I already signed a contract for a new gig in another province. Now they are telling me the deal is off because they wanted to take care of my visa before their summer break at the end of June and now there's no time and that unless one is in the same province as this past year it's going to be difficult to get a new Z visa from June onward. Does anyone else know anything about this? And can you think of an easy way to change jobs and provinces without leaving the country?

I am also switching provinces soon. My current visa runs out July 31st and I am supposed to be at the new school for August 1st. So I am going a week earlier to get things transferred. I need a residence first and foremost. I had to get a lot of paperwork and documentation for the transfer including a local police check, authenticated degree, and four different letters from my current school (recommendation letter, release letter, etc), cancellation of export book, and release letter. Plus, photocopies of passport, and 2 photos. It has been a hassle getting all of this, but I have managed to get most of it now. Thankfully my current school has been pretty decent in making these documents for me.

I think the documentation needed might vary from province to province, so check with your HR. I have a friend moving to Shenzhen and she was told she didn't need an authenticated degree. As for me, I was told I didn't need a new medical check and they could use the one I already have from my current school.
water rat

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some information about all this in a new offer I saw here at Dave's today

Quote:
MAY 19th 2017 UPDATED

PLEASE READ THE NEW REQUIREMENTS BEFORE YOU READ ABOUT THE JOB OFFER: CHINA HAS IMPLEMENTED A NATIONWIDE WORK PERMIT SYSTEM.

Requirements:
1.Local Criminal Background Check(issued within last 6 months) from home country which should be notarized by a notary and finally sent to your nearest Chinese embassy for authentication.

2.TEFL/TESOL CERT should also be sent to a notary and sent to Chinese embassy for final authentication

3.For the degree(3 or 4 year is fine) please contact your University registrar office and ask them to notarize the degree. After that please contact Secretary of State office in the state where the degree was conferred and apply for authentication. You will have to mail the application to Secretary of State office. Upon receiving this , it will have to be sent to the Chinese embassy for final authentication.

Notes: Some countries do not have a Secretary of State but instead may have a foreign affairs ministry. Do not apply for Apostille in foreign affairs office, apply for authentication.

4. An employment reference letter which states you have one or two years experience working with children. Include date and signature and stamp from reference source.This does not need notary or further authentication.

5. Native Speakers and Non Native Speakers will be considered.

6. The good news is that the health test doesn't need to be done in home country. That will be done on arrival and paid for by the school.

These requirements do seem like a massive burden and they are so as an Irishman running the school, I will cover the full cost of the visa process along with the cost of verification.

SOURCE: http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=47096
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: