Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nizwa university 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I found your answer completely misleading... as if many of the teachers are commuting some short distance from Muscat daily. (not that you answered the housing allowance question either).

To be fair to those who have never lived in Oman and haven't a clue the distance from Muscat to Nizwa, best that they get some facts... that you neglected to mention. Spending 2-4 hours a day commuting isn't a desirable option to most people.

So... who's the troll? Rolling Eyes

VS
open chakras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: university of Nizwa 2017 Reply with quote

VS 2 to 4 hours a day? It's not only inappropriate, it is untrue and might even be inflammatory. My commute from the university to Muscat was 45 minutes each way. The traffic is always going the opposite way. People go into Muscat to work in the morning and leave later. The commute from the University to Nizwa can actually be longer by bus with heavy traffic going in the same direction and frequent stops for teachers. You don't seem to know what you are talking about.

I did answer the post, twice. What was your suggestion again? I can't seem to find it.

Please stop insulting my intelligence and offer a better suggestion to the post based on your RECENT knowledge and experience, if you have any.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a highway between Muscat and Nizwa. Maybe everyone isn't aware of this.
Chuma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertdawg wrote:
There is a highway between Muscat and Nizwa. Maybe everyone isn't aware of this.

Maybe it wasn't there in the 1980s.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I hadn't driven it in years, I used the online mapping... and the answer that I gave is the answer it gave. Not everyone drives 140 kph...

Not to mention it matters where you live in "Muscat." As I clearly said... YMMV

VS
(there has lomg been a "highway" between Nizwa and Muscat... even in the "80s...duh...)
open chakras

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University2017 Reply with quote

VS Let's see if I got this. You respond to posts with information you look for on the internet? You do this in order to make other posters wrong even though they have actual experience of what they post? You joined in 2003 and posted 17396 times? What other websites have you been using?

I know this won't make any difference , but with all due respect I must ask Man, don't you have anything else to do?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off... I've never been a man. Second, I didn't join in 2003, but in 1996 or so when this board started.

Typing responses here takes me maybe 10-15 minutes a day these days. And I enjoy keeping up with what is going on over there. So don't worry your little self about how I spend my time.

I looked at the internet because a poster was giving misleading information which made no sense to me. Over the years, I've known a half dozen or so teachers who were in Nizwa. None of them ever considered living in Muscat and commuting. Nor would I. When someone does this, I will post and do a little reality check for readers who may want to know the whole story. Not just one teacher's experience. While your commute might have been 45 minutes, Muscat is very large and it can take nearly an hour to get from one end to the other... no less head out to Nizwa.

VS
open chakras

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: nizwa university 2017 Reply with quote

VS Dave says you joined in 2003. Is he wrong too?

You haven't actually given the original post an answer to their question because you can't find one on the internet? If not correct, please give one.

You may not know any teachers who commuted but the university offers a teachers's bus because their is a demand. Got that?

The use of the word "man" doesn't refer to your gender.

I would suggest like other people have to Trump (after his numerous tweets trying so hard to stay "right"even though the facts say otherwise) to just stop, but I'm sure you won't, just like him.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: nizwa university 2017 Reply with quote

open chakras wrote:
VS Dave says you joined in 2003. Is he wrong too?

You are obviously young and lack a lot of knowledge. Try doing a bit of simple research. You would then know that Dave's ESL cafe started in 1995. I met Dave at TESOLArabia in the late 90's in Abu Dhabi. I joined the first format of the discussion board soon after it appeared. This is actually the third format of this board and as you can see from the date, it appeared in 2003. All previous posts disappeared each time the board changed format.

There... now you have a bit more education this morning. I suggest that if you are currently being employed as an English teacher that you also need to work on your reading skills. (not to mention your manners)

VS
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the topic of this thread I found Nizwa University to be a very nice place to teach....spent three years there...great students and good benefits.....not to mention friendly colleagues! Would highly recommend the place for newbies! Very Happy
teacherwhy16?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that accommodation is definitely part of the package. You don't get an allowance for it. Am I wrong on that one? Does anyone live in the provided housing?

Also, is 1200 a reasonable amount to take care of a couple? No kids, modest lifestyle (drinking, yes, but we aren't big on bars; can you buy stuff to drink at home in Nizwa or do you have to go to Muscat?).

I have been to Nizwa. There isn't much to spend money on. We're hoping to not get a car, just rent sometimes. Is that doable? We have been told there is a bus to work, but I don't know about shopping.

I'd appreciate feedback, even if it's "stay away." If so, why? I do know that they had pay issues a while back, since resolved.

Edited to add: 1200 is the total offer, with allowances.
EFL Educator, can I PM you? How long since you worked there?
open chakras

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Nizwa University 2017 Reply with quote

teacherwhy167

If you need a job and want to live in Oman, I say go. They have accepted you, and if you refuse you may find it difficult to find another one in Oman.

You can pm me privately.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No liquor shops in Nizwa, you would have to go to either Muscat or Sohar for that, once you have a license that is! Couple of hotels to drink in Nizwa though.....
Eijse74

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Nizwa currently.

1200 a month is a slap in the face - and UNIZWA will make you earn every baisa as well, so beware.

I know teachers at UNIZWA current and past, and based on their experiences I would never accept a contract at that place. In fact, I turned down an offer from them in 2011. They have had nothing but problems for the last 9 years, they are notorious for overworking staff, and this year there was a teacher strike because of unpaid salaries.

Anyone who would choose to live in Muscat and commute every day to Nizwa is foolish. They'd be spending 3-4 hours a day or more on the road 5 days a week - talk about making a rod for your own back. Not only that, the roads here are not safe.

Yes, as far as I know, UNIZWA gives you a housing allowance and you can choose your own place. Bear in mind that renting is much, much cheaper in Nizwa compared to Muscat.

Life in Oman is not what it used to be. Things are getting worse, from teaching conditions, salary, prices, the economy in general. I'm getting out in a few weeks, thank God.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: