Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities in Aus/ NZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Opportunities in Aus/ NZ Reply with quote

Hi,
Pretty much the title. I have a PGCE, Cambridge DELTA, MEd in Applied Linguistics and 10+ years of experience, mostly at university level.

How would my chances of finding a stable, full time job be? Any cities/ institutions you could recommend? Any ideas on the kind of salary ranges? Or anywhere you could recommend for finding such info? Unfortunately the boards here are a little on the quiet side...

Thanks in advance,
Lev
danmbob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quiet because these are English speaking countries. No need for foreign native speakers
Lev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't suppose there is a shortage of native speakers, but would being a foreign native speaker be a problem? I know a couple of teachers we had at our uni previously had come from jobs over there so I guess it's at least possible.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has I think been covered before.
Getting a work visa for roles where there is already a plentiful supply of local candidates is problematic. This applies to other countries as well.
Also, local teachers probably amenable to a few hours or one or two days a week. Whereas a foreign teacher would need 20-30 hours to live on.
Another thread suggests 'Working Holiday Visa' but my recollection is that you must be under 30 to access these.
djtwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lev, it sounds like you have plenty of qualifications and experience. I would definitely recommend going for a university position. There is currently a huge market for bridging / foundation courses for students (mainly Chinese) who have been accepted into their university course but need to increase their English proficiency. They are great courses to teach and you will no longer will be presenting grammar. A lot of work on essay structure, reading and listening skills and working on how they can contribute their ideas in tutorials etc. The students are really motivated and we talk about interesting stuff. It's normally 20 contact hours at around $80/hour. Be prepared to be a casual, though. Very few teachers will get a permanent position straight-away, but if you do a good job, you'll get the work. Whichever city you're planning on living in, get updates on the big university websites for jobs. There are slow and peak periods but I have had full time work for over a year now. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: