Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam with a Masters Degree (MPA)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codym607

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Vietnam with a Masters Degree (MPA)? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I know there are tons of similar posts on here, but I am more or less just posting to try and get some insight into my specific situation.

I am thirty years old, currently living in North Carolina. From 2011-2013 I taught ESL in South Korea. When my time in Korea was up I was left with two options....go teach in Vietnam before returning home, or head back to the states to pursue a masters/career in Urban Planning (BA is in Geography)

I ended up choosing a Masters degree, completing an MPA with a concentration in urban planning and development. However after two years in the transportation/logistics field, I am convinced that this life is not for me, at least not in the states. I am now gathering my documents to teach in Vietnam. I should add here that during my time in grad school, I was employed for approx. 1.5 years as a substitute at the university's English language school (where I taught a wide array of language skills to international students hoping to test out of English requirements for undergrad admission) and full time for around 6 months.

I have friends in Saigon (and have spent a few weeks there), so I will be settling there. I was hoping to get some on the ground information about what I might expect in terms of finding a job teaching with my qualifications.

Again, I'm sure this is asked repetitively, and is likely a long shot - but I would be interested to see if opportunities exists to teach urban planning or logistics in a classroom setting. Also, will I be able to make more teaching English given I have a Masters degree?

Qualifications Recap:
30 years old, BA in Geography (minor in music) Masters of Public Administration, 120 hour online TESOL, 4.5 years experience, ranging form Kindergarten to University, but have been out of the field for going on 2 years.

Anyway help is appreciated!
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated MA is not going to be worth much imo.

If it was an MA TESOL or Linguistics then yea.

Basically just boils down to

Native
Degree
ESL Certificate (which their is a hierarchy with CELTA being at the top and online ones being at the bottom)

You will find a job if you look hard enough. Might not be a quality job though.

I have better qualifications than you and applied to every place I could find online and in a months time only was offered 1 job.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnam with a Masters Degree (MPA)? Reply with quote

Codym607 wrote:
I ended up choosing a Masters degree, completing an MPA with a concentration in urban planning and development. However after two years in the transportation/logistics field, I am convinced that this life is not for me, at least not in the states.

Why not look for jobs in your field. Google urban planning job Vietnam.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vietnam with a Masters Degree (MPA)? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Codym607 wrote:
I ended up choosing a Masters degree, completing an MPA with a concentration in urban planning and development. However after two years in the transportation/logistics field, I am convinced that this life is not for me, at least not in the states.

Why not look for jobs in your field. Google urban planning job Vietnam.

I imagine the chances of him finding and getting a job in "his field" will be much much more difficult and unlikely than teaching English.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaParcero wrote:
I imagine the chances of him finding and getting a job in "his field" will be much much more difficult and unlikely than teaching English.

Think outside the box; Vietnam is growing at a good pace. If the OP is willing to do a bit of research, he's likely to find private firms and/or non-governmental organizations (NGO) specializing in urban development that he could connect with. This could lead to a trainer role or some other position unrelated to instruction. It doesn't hurt to try.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SinaloaParcero wrote:

Think outside the box; Vietnam is growing at a good pace. If the OP is willing to do a bit of research, he's likely to find private firms and/or non-governmental organizations (NGO) specializing in urban development that he could connect with. This could lead to a trainer role or some other position unrelated to instruction. It doesn't hurt to try.

Many of these firms simply pick people already in their company for overseas assignments / positions.

Yes, OP should certainly try to find one of these jobs. Never know, he could get lucky.

But it's always better to be realistic and hope for the best but plan for the worst.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reread my posts; I'm not guaranteeing the OP will land a position in his field. I've been posting on the Cafe forums long enough to know it's key to be careful with how I word my posts when it comes to jobs.

This is simply another option -- a suggestion -- for him to explore now since he plans to head to VN regardless. For example, he can start by networking with Habitat for Humanity's Vietnam office for potential connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: