Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

job q's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Morley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: job q's Reply with quote

hello. i teach in south korea, and i and my wife have discovered oman recently as a place we may both want to live. so i have some questions if you dont mind. 1. can a korean native speaker with an american mfa in linguistics find good work? 2. what kind of savings would a teacher with an mfa in writing expect and savings? 3. what are the pay scale differences between jobs, such as university positions, international school positions, esl school positions and public school positions? what kind of holidays do most schools offer? thank you in advance 4. are private classes common?
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: job q's Reply with quote

Al Morley wrote:
1. can a korean native speaker with an american mfa in linguistics find good work? 2.

American MFA good. Korean passport bad. Job prospects okay but if you want to present yourself as a native, thereby getting a higher payscale, the passport is going to be a big factor.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: job q's Reply with quote

Al Morley wrote:
Can a korean native speaker with an american mfa in linguistics find good work?

By "Korean native speaker" are you:
- an American (US passport holder) of Korean heritage?
- a native English speaker?
Al Morley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more a question for my wife than me. she has an american passport but was born in south korea.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: job q's Reply with quote

Al Morley wrote:
hello. i teach in south korea, and i and my wife have discovered oman recently as a place we may both want to live. so i have some questions if you dont mind. 1. can a korean native speaker with an american mfa in linguistics find good work?

I suspected that you might be asking about your wife and that you are not Korean. Your questions are quite confusing as to who has what. What are your credentials? If you have a related MA and experience, the easiest route is for you to get a job. Then she can likely pick up work as a local hire if you manage to get hired in Muscat or perhaps Salalah.

Or you could apply as a teaching couple, but employers vary on whether they consider this positive. Probably worth a try.

Al Morley wrote:
2. what kind of savings would a teacher with an mfa in writing expect and savings?

So you both have an mfa in writing? Teaching writing in the Gulf tends to be rather basic. I spent as much time on basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation as I could on paragraph or essay structure. The writing level of entry students is VERY low. There are very few jobs for a "writing teacher." Most are basic ESL for entry students who spend a year or two in foundations courses and writing is just one of the covered skills.

As to what you could save, that is not really answerable. Everyone's lifestyle is different. If you both managed to get hired with your MAs, you might be able to save one salary... after about the middle of the first year after setting up expenses. Assuming that you don't eat out every night and spend the weekends in the bars.

Al Morley wrote:
3. what are the pay scale differences between jobs, such as university positions, international school positions, esl school positions and public school positions?

There are no public school positions for expats in Oman. International Schools require a teaching certificate from your home country. Language schools tend to be local hire, not foreign hire, so you wouldn't be interested.

As to salary scale differences, hard to say. Some university positions pay more than International Schools... and vice versa.

Al Morley wrote:
what kind of holidays do most schools offer?

You can google up the official holidays. It all depends on the employer how many days one gets off for Eids. Summer leave can vary from one month to 6 weeks to 2 months.

Al Morley wrote:
4. are private classes common?

No. Plus it is usually specified in your contract that you are not to take outside work. In my years there, I had a few private students, all of whom came from one of the Ministries, so permission was not an issue.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: