Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any suggestions for finding non ESL oil field work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geostride87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Any suggestions for finding non ESL oil field work? Reply with quote

Hello again all!

My wife accepted a teaching position with the MOE (I've been reading everyones reviews.... Shocked ) and will be starting in August. She's going to be teaching Highschool Biology, possibly only to female students (though it may be dependent on where she gets placed).

I've also been teaching english for the past year in Asia, but by training, I am a Geologist with about 7 years of oil field experience (mostly on oil rigs). I realize the industry is pretty bad right now (it's worse here in Canada) in terms of oil field work, but my question is, IF we were to be placed in a place like RAK or Fujairah, and I happened to find work in Dubai in my field, how accommodating do you think the MOE will be in terms of my wife transferring to another city mid year or mid contract? They won't tell her where she's been placed until she starts training in late July / Early August...can she make a specific request once she arrives based on where my job prospects may be? And if so...should we be focusing on Dubai?

And finally, if anyone has any advice as to how and where I should be applying once I'm there, that would be great! Any info would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOE will place her based on their need, not yours or hers. They may ask a preference, but the reality is that most will likely ask for Dubai, so...

Considering the situation in jobs related to the oil business, you are likely out of luck wherever you live.

I would assume that the answer to your question is no... you would very likely have to set up two homes.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
I am a Geologist with about 7 years of oil field experience (mostly on oil rigs). I realize the industry is pretty bad right now (it's worse here in Canada) in terms of oil field work.

And finally, if anyone has any advice as to how and where I should be applying once I'm there, that would be great!

Dragonpiwo might be able to comment on oil rig jobs.

You guys did this backwards; it would have been better for you to get a job first (from abroad) and once you're both in country, she could apply for jobs. That said, if you expect to be on an oil rig, you both would be living in separate situations anyway.

Did you also apply to science teaching jobs?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Did you also apply to science teaching jobs?.

Yes, Geostride87, many schools are looking for STEM teachers. OVERALL, the level of English in Emirati schools has improved. I know that folks will dispute this, but due to the amount of English surrounding the locals, some English has been absorbed, at least on the spoken level if not on an academic level.

Now the schools need to make sure that students can digest basic scientific principles and, dare we hope, start to think critically and creatively.

It's not easy to live at the opposite ends of the UAE, but the roads are not bad for a weekend commute. If you need to have two homes, a housing allowance or accommodation will be provided by both employers, but you might lose it if you live in the same emirate. Be aware that if placed in Abu Dhabi that this is the largest Emirate and the road to Ruwais can be a long 2 1/2 hour haul, whereas a hop to Dubai could be less than an hour.

I have heard talk that there is exploration going on in non-convention oil production: fracking or shale industry, but I don't have any contacts.
Geostride87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You guys did this backwards; it would have been better for you to get a job first (from abroad) and once you're both in country, she could apply for jobs. That said, if you expect to be on an oil rig, you both would be living in separate situations anyway.

Did you also apply to science teaching jobs?

Ideally, that's what we would've liked, and I had been applying for over a year for both teaching and oil and gas positions. She ended up getting the position, and speaking to some of my contacts, they advised that perhaps my chances of getting employed in oil and gas would be better if I was actually present and living in the UAE, and meeting with employers in person.

Quote:

Yes, Geostride87, many schools are looking for STEM teachers. OVERALL, the level of English in Emirati schools has improved. I know that folks will dispute this, but due to the amount of English surrounding the locals, some English has been absorbed, at least on the spoken level if not on an academic level.

Now the schools need to make sure that students can digest basic scientific principles and, dare we hope, start to think critically and creatively.

It's not easy to live at the opposite ends of the UAE, but the roads are not bad for a weekend commute. If you need to have two homes, a housing allowance or accommodation will be provided by both employers, but you might lose it if you live in the same emirate. Be aware that if placed in Abu Dhabi that this is the largest Emirate and the road to Ruwais can be a long 2 1/2 hour haul, whereas a hop to Dubai could be less than an hour.

I have heard talk that there is exploration going on in non-convention oil production: fracking or shale industry, but I don't have any contacts.

That's good to know. Most of my experience has been in unconventional operations. That is something I can really highlight.

I don't think that at this point we'd be okay with living separately. Who knows, that may change after a few months of unemployment. I will definitely be trying for teaching positions as well once I'm there...it would help to know where she's going to be placed, but we wont know until her training begins.

I appreciate everyone's perspective and point of view. Thanks for the responses!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geostride87 wrote:
Ideally, that's what we would've liked, and I had been applying for over a year for both teaching and oil and gas positions.

You might take a look at these oil job boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: