Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL in Hong Kong without a degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brix53

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: TEFL in Hong Kong without a degree Reply with quote

Is it possible?

Most requirements state that the candidate must have a bachelor's degree. Is this only due to work visa requirements? I ask this as I am very interested in teaching in Hong Kong but do not hold a bachelor's degree. I do however qualify for a Working Holiday Visa. Would it be possible to get hired on a WHV for a year without a degree? I am also a native speaker with some experience as a teacher's assistant (part-time).

Thanks!
HeidiHector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by HeidiHector on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it will be difficult for someone in your situation. I wouldn't paint such a negative picture as HeidiHector although the challenges you will face need to be acknowledged. Working visas can still be obtained without a university degree but it is getting harder and harder to do so.

A lot will depend on your attitude and your presentability. If you present yourself well and do a good job during your WHV time, then you may find an employer willing to sponsor you. Some centres / agents do know the ins and outs of the visa application process and so that they have a higher chance of getting your application approved.

I believe you could still find work for approx 20K / month at a language centre or kindergarten. Many are desperate for teachers. The working conditions at such places could be less than ideal so you'll have to factor that into your calculations.

In addition, private work is readily available (although illegal under a standard working visa, taking on such work is very commonplace) if you are approachable and a decent teacher. Get a few students at HKD 400 / hr and you could easily see your income approaching 30K / month or beyond. The opportunity is there, the question is whether you have the right mindset to overcome the challenges to get there.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough, getting a degree is so expensive in England these days, you have my sympathy. If I was to offer old fashioned advice it would be to scour degrees that offer financial support in the UK (does this even happen in the UK?), so you can minimize your debt, but get what is still a vital qualification.

After that if you are still interested in TEFL then go for it!

P.S If you are Scottish (as I am), then pull yourself together and get to Uni. It's free!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: