Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Never been to Turkey

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
learningpaths



Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Never been to Turkey Reply with quote

I've been invited to an interview, and here is the initial offer:

Pay
7500tl net per month
1000tl for monthly rent allowance
Air ticket to get here.
Return air ticket at school end if you renew contract otherwise oneway ticket home.
Baggage allowance.
Private health insurance

Your weekly contact hours would be around 20-22hrs at the most.

I've a couple BAs, couple certs, decade plus experience.

At this point I'm interested in frugal living and savings.

What do you think?
(What questions should I be asking for Turkey?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10899
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which city is this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
learningpaths



Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istanbul, Turkey.
District is called Baaksehir.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
learningpaths



Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that finding accommodation for a 1000tl or less is going to be a stretch, even though I was told it's more than enough for all utilities including internet, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 10899
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Numbeo for an idea of cost of living for Istanbul. But don't waste the interviewer's time asking about life in Istanbul; focus on job-related questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
learningpaths



Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I've stopped accepting positions with housing allowances for this reason:

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 1,738.55 TL
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 952.75 TL

It makes starting such a hassle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JohnRambo



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 182

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Never been to Turkey Reply with quote

learningpaths wrote:
I've been invited to an interview, and here is the initial offer:

Pay
7500tl net per month
1000tl for monthly rent allowance
Air ticket to get here.
Return air ticket at school end if you renew contract otherwise oneway ticket home.
Baggage allowance.
Private health insurance

Your weekly contact hours would be around 20-22hrs at the most.

I've a couple BAs, couple certs, decade plus experience.

At this point I'm interested in frugal living and savings.

What do you think?
(What questions should I be asking for Turkey?)


For Turkey, that's an excellent salary if you can get that. Consider that many universities over here pay between 4 to 7,500, with 7,500 being quite rare.
And you're getting a housing allowance on top of that? That's great. And a one-way ticket is not bad. If the job's good, why not?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nichtta



Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 110
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a great deal to me, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coffeespoonman



Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 490
Location: At my computer...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the fact that, at the moment, Turkey is not the ideal place for frugality or savings, that's a very good offer for Turkey. You'll be near the very top of the ESL game there, and should have no trouble saving a few thousand a month.

I don't know of any district called Baaksehir in Istanbul though. Baak is a strange and not very Turkish sounding word - ak means white or pure, and sehir just means city and is a common end for districts. But I've never heard of Baak.

Unless it's waaaay out in the boonies, I'm thinking you might have got the name wrong. Perhaps you mean Bahcesehir? Is this a university?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nichtta



Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 110
Location: Istanbul, Turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeespoonman wrote:
I don't know of any district called Baaksehir in Istanbul though. Baak is a strange and not very Turkish sounding word - ak means white or pure, and sehir just means city and is a common end for districts. But I've never heard of Baak.

Unless it's waaaay out in the boonies, I'm thinking you might have got the name wrong. Perhaps you mean Bahcesehir? Is this a university?


Başakşehir is what I thought learningpaths meant. It has grown quite quickly and now has a metro that serves it, a new university I believe, plus is considered a nice spot for housing, although expensive. It's a nice area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnRambo



Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 182

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:
coffeespoonman wrote:
I don't know of any district called Baaksehir in Istanbul though. Baak is a strange and not very Turkish sounding word - ak means white or pure, and sehir just means city and is a common end for districts. But I've never heard of Baak.

Unless it's waaaay out in the boonies, I'm thinking you might have got the name wrong. Perhaps you mean Bahcesehir? Is this a university?


Başakşehir is what I thought learningpaths meant. It has grown quite quickly and now has a metro that serves it, a new university I believe, plus is considered a nice spot for housing, although expensive. It's a nice area.


If the OP is getting 8,500 TL including housing that's a wonderful and rare deal. Very few places offer that. Some international schools offer 7,000 TL plus. I believe some of the French ones pay in euro. Generally, you're lucky if you get 5000 TL in this country, which is not a whole lot. I got about 5,500 TL. It's not enough. I have privates, but they've not always been consisting. I have lost some due to Fenerbahce games paralyzing traffic. What I need is a higher salary, so I may leave Turkey all together. I could apply for some jobs that pay 7,000. That, with privates, would be a good deal. However, the political situation is not stable, and the lira could, in theory, take another hit. The cost of living is high in Istanbul. It's lovely if you're a tourist or if you're paid a decent wage in euro or a high lira salary.
Preferably, you're paid in euro or dollars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Otterman Ollie



Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 1067
Location: South Western Turkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a well above average salary, bearing in mind your teaching hours I would say too good to be true.

Ask questions about weekend work and meetings and conferences and workshops that eat into your free time but you are still expected to attend.

Is a service bus provided if you have to travel in any distance, do they include a mid day meal, ask about the perks, usually thats the limit, any more than that is icing the cake. Go for it, I would, finally ask about them taking care of the little legalities regarding your work permit and residence permit and do not give them orginal copies of your documents and certs, if you do get them back the same day, they are golden! They should also be paying your social security contributions. If you get all that, lucky boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China