Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CICE - Macau

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: CICE - Macau Reply with quote

I was contacted by someone from Centre for Internetional Cooperation in Education (CICE) about working in HK (my details were on Ajarn and they found me on there).
From my understanding, they send teachers to mainstream schools in Macau.
They also require a PGCE, which I have. There is hardly any literature on the internet about them.

The salary is 18,000 - 22,000 MOP for a max 25 hours (mon-fri). This includes fully furnished shared accommodation, medical coverage, visa.

Does anyone have any experience working with them, or know anything about them?
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent more than ten years in HK and have never heard of them. As far as I'm aware, many teachers in Macau actually live in China where it's much cheaper and commute in. The salary quoted doesn't sound a lot, if they're looking for a NET with experience and a PGCE.

There's nothing to suggest that it's dodgy though, but I wouldn't send any cash for visas etc as I'm sure you wouldn't anyway.

Do they have a physical office that you can google? Perhaps arrange a phone interview too. A mobile number would be a big red flag.

Sorry, I can't be much help, but jobs in Macau rarely come up.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard about CICE but I do have a few comments about the offered package.

1. Salary 18K - 22K. Let's face it, you will most likely receive 18K as you don't have any local experience.
2. Shared Accommodation. You had better get more details about this if you are really interested. Poor living conditions can easily be a deal breaker.
3. So let's say 18K plus the value of your accommodation which I'd very roughly value at around 5K gives 23K. That's not too bad for language centre work but very poor for a qualified teacher.
4. You would be based in Hong Kong but would be sent to various schools in Macau? Would you commute daily between HK and Macau? That could become costly if your travel expenses aren't covered (and not to mention tiring).

If you want to take this role just to gain some local experience then it could be interesting for a short-term role but you definitely need to get more information about the shared accommodation, travelling required, class sizes, marking required, office hours required etc etc. Otherwise if you want to gain experience in local schools then there are plenty of agents who will arrange a contract for you with schools in Hong Kong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: