Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any jobs available in Macau atm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Any jobs available in Macau atm? Reply with quote

Hi all, looking for a little bit of a change.

2x years of teaching, lecturing and tutoring in HK. Well after working as a private tutor for the last 6 years, I need a little change.

Any tips or steers to reasonable jobs in Macau will be great.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread immediately below this one referencing a company called Centre for International Cooperation in Education (CICE). Apparently they place candidates in schools in Macau. Might be worth sending either them or the OP of that thread a message requesting more information.

P.S. On a side note, what about private tutoring has turned you off / made you want to change? I've been tutoring in HK for over 9 years now and I love it, especially the job flexibility and the decent income.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this summer is too quiet.

I have an office in Sheung Wan. Beautiful classroom, huge white board, projector, surround sound, etc etc

Alas, just too many students away for summer. When you are a one man company, so much unpaid work; book keeping, advertising, cleaning, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm also a one man band. And yes the summer months will typically see a drop in student numbers, this summer being a bit worse than in previous years. However, the income from the other regular months more than makes up for the summer slowdown (for me at least). Even in a 'slow' summer month I'll typically see income in excess of 80K, and income in the 105-120K range during a 'regular' month.

If Macau doesn't work out for you perhaps you can re-look at your setup and see where some positive changes could be made.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I sent you a pm and someone perhaps not you gave a very strange reply.

Just curious of your formula, do you visit the student or they go to your location? Also, without wishing to pry, what are your rates?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replied to your PM but I'll post some additional thoughts here in case anyone is interested.

Private tutoring in Hong Kong can be extremely lucrative with salaries upwards of USD 100,000 / year perfectly possible. Having said that, it's not a situation that you can just walk into and expect to have that level of income from day one. It takes TIME and EFFORT to build up a quality student base, many years in some cases.

Rates:

HKD 250 - 1,000 / hr.

The rates you can command as a private tutor depend on many factors but it's mostly down to location and reputation. An experienced tutor who has put some effort into developing their reputation should be able to command at least HKD 500 / hr in Kowloon and HK Island. Yes, some parents will try to lowball you BUT there are many many others who are willing and able to pay HKD 500 / hr and more. If you have a strong reputation and can gain some traction with students attending some of the top tier schools or private international schools then you can see your rates rise closer to HKD 1,000 / hr.

Travel-out Tutor / Fixed-location Tutor:

Tutors who travel out to students home / other locations to teach will be limited in the number of working hours that they can do per day simply due to the restrictions of travel time. I would say 4-5 working hours per day (for a full-time tutor) would be around maximum possible under this setup. Of course that will still lead to a decent income but it's hard work and tiring.

Fixed-location tutors who have students come to them have more options. It's possible to do 7-8 teaching hours per day (for a full-time tutor) and still have some work / life balance. There's also something to be said for teaching in a controlled environment without distractions and with all your teaching resources on hand.

All in all, the private tutoring industry is extremely varied. There is no one-size fits all strategy and to be successful you will have to adjust your own strategy to take local conditions and trends into account.

I welcome all queries and would be happy to advise anybody interested in taking on work in this field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: