Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets talk about those fine print details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer wrote:
This just goes to show, yet again, how these stinking companies operate: a couple of infractions, even minor ones, ones that could be sensibly and professionally sorted out with a bit of consultation and discussion (and would be in any normal company), and you're automatically in deep trouble and possibly out on your backside, with little if any right of redress.

They act like the mafia (probably because they're the ones financing things and ultimately pulling the strings).

Indeed. The dispatch companies really provide nothing. The training is minimal, and they simply cave to any whim that the BOE or JTEs have. they provide no counters nor balances.

I do like how many, I am sorry, all only pay 29.5hrs per week. Yet they want you to stay after and participate in club. This is a perfect example of having your cake and eating it .
When I was an ALT, I only occasionally stayed past 4:30, and didn't put in the extra effort. Why? You get what you pay for. When a company pays and treats me well, I give it my all.

Dispatch companies really only exist because BOEs are lazy and don't want to deal with ALTs on their own. One of the many reasons why EFL here is below a joke.
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrwhisky wrote:
Also it seems they shot themselves in the foot. They took me off assignment with terrible timing. I was supposed to have a huge observation this Wednesday (nearly 100 teachers and BOE) and I had everything smoothed out between myself and the teachers not to mention good chemistry. Now they got last minute switch and the school is not terribly happy, the BOE has complained. . Funny they admit this stuff to me.

Either way they'll likely lose thier Hiroshima contract over this foolishness. So heads up anyone who wants to work in Hiroshima city spring semester there may be a lot of positions opening up. You heard it first here.

Amazing how poorly these things are run. Good for you though, glad it ended up ok.
What company are you working for? Interac, RCS?
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be for concern of potential liability that they pulled the OP before the big demo lesson. My friend's father was a manager for a large grocery chain. When an employee gave notice or was fired, the policy was to pay two weeks' salary, but not schedule the employee to come in. They wanted to make certain that a potentially disgruntled employee didn't have access to the food or customers. Perhaps the same sort of thing applies in this case? Perhaps they are assuming a potential lack of professionalism where there is little need for concern? Better safe than sorry seems like it should be an idiom that originated in Japan.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
It may be for concern of potential liability that they pulled the OP before the big demo lesson. My friend's father was a manager for a large grocery chain. When an employee gave notice or was fired, the policy was to pay two weeks' salary, but not schedule the employee to come in. They wanted to make certain that a potentially disgruntled employee didn't have access to the food or customers. Perhaps the same sort of thing applies in this case? Perhaps they are assuming a potential lack of professionalism where there is little need for concern? Better safe than sorry seems like it should be an idiom that originated in Japan.

I doubt they gave it that much thought. Places like Interac and Heart (the latter is worse) almost always react in extreme ways and then consider the mid-term/long-term consequences only later. As to why they do this...I think it's more a combination of the fragility of their ties with the schools/BOEs (many of whom change dispatch providers as easily and almost as often as I change my boxers in summer) and fear related to the issue Marley'sghost mentions here:

marley'sghost wrote:

Gyomu itaku is such a joke. To actually manage an entire BOE's worth of ALTs in the manner the contract demands would require such multi-level, micromanagement it would collapse by Monday morning 3rd period.

Again, as I wrote on the first page, the dispatch providers promise stuff to the schools/BOEs that is often in contradiction to the contracts they have with their actual employees (the dispatched ALTs). Again, the dispatch companies do this (i.e., word their contracts in that way) in order to make money off their foreign workers--as the links I provided demonstrate (with proof), these companies make their profits by skimming (stealing) the difference between pension/insurance-subsidized direct hire (the money amount they receive) and what they actually pay to their employees. They (the dispatchers) are lucky in that they somehow continue to find a lot of skilled, diligent and conscientious foreign workers ready and willing to take these jobs...and then give these jobs far more time and energy than what they are required to do.

That said, legally, the dispatched ALTs are to follow only their contracts with their companies and take orders/instructions only from those companies. If all dispatched ALTs started doing exactly that, yes, things would collapse by Monday morning 3rd period.
jrwhisky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
[
They (the dispatchers) are lucky in that they somehow continue to find a lot of skilled, diligent and conscientious foreign workers ready and willing to take these jobs...and then give these jobs far more time and energy than what they are required to do.

yes, extremely yes. It continuously baffles me.

Project was a success. I got the two months pay I asked for, the managers were polite and quick about. Too easy actually if I had been really stubborn I probably could have got more. They even offered to help me get unemployment benefits. Maybe they feel guilty about the whole deal I don't know. But it was my intention to attempt getting my own Eikaiwa going during the summer break and quit for September getting in a little trouble actually paid off a bit better.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was quick!!! Good for you! Do these sorts of things typically get resolved so quickly? This must have been the exception rather than the rule, no?
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, such a swift and positive resolution seems to defy credulity. Are you certain they will deliver? Even routine decisions in Japanese organizations seem to take more time than this one did.
jrwhisky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah I wonder. I certainly expected more drama. To be honest they looked very tired. They just landed a huge contract in Okayama(which requires them to contract teachers as full time and pay shakai hoken) they need like 90 teachers by August. So the timing must have been perfect for me. They didn't have a bit of fight left in them.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, mate! I wish more prefectures would require this kind of thing.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out painlessly. I'm not that surprised actually. (Though given some of the stupid stuff Interac has done in the past I'm surprised I'm not surprised!). JR wanted out and Interac was more than happy to show him the way to the door. They had bigger fish to fry.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who gets or knows someone who gets one of these Okayama jobs. I am surprised to hear it comes with shakai-hoken. I wonder what the catch is. 9-month hakken contracts? 5 years and you get the boot?

I know that Interac lost a couple of court cases in the past and were forced to pay their employees in some places shakai hoken. But I assumed the recent splitting of the company into 5,6,7 "separate" companies wiggled them free and clear of that.

Good luck with your new business venture. From you posts, I'm getting the impression you are the type who needs to be their own boss. I hope this is something you've been planning for a while and have a good start on already. That 2 months of Interac pay probably won't be enough to see you from ground zero to building a profitable business on it's own.
jrwhisky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to someone today who worked in Okayama she said they've always required the shokai there but the problem is their contracts are only 7 months starting from August. She also claimed they just paid her less due to the shokai agreement. She moved out of there to Hiroshima after the 7 months but they never upped her salary, figures, she made the minimum 200,000 yen a month and still does 5 years later. The union suspects it's because she's fillipino. could've be I don't know anyone else who works for that little at interac
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read bad things about the BOE in Kurashiki but not sure if they use Interac.

Interac is common in Yokohama and used to have a better reputation, which I could not believe. I guess it depended on whether the boss was good or not.
I am sure they are worse than before.

Dispatch is common in Tokyo and Kanagawa. I wonder about how it is in Osaka.
milkman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Kurashiki was a direct-hire gig? Would be really sad if they also succumbed to the dispatch companies. I do remember there was a tremendous amount of drama a few years ago though with the people running the program, the ALTs essentially banded together against the foreign coordinator (who apparently was a right wanker), I think they managed to get rid of him but I'm sure that it left a bad taste in the BOE's mouth.

I know that JET is making inroads in Tokyo, I heard rumors that ironically Interac helps out a lot with them in terms of setting up logistics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: