Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tutoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyDay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Tutoring Reply with quote

I often turn down tutoring work, but I've been offered a tutoring gig for a beginner student with basic English for 300 yuan an hour. I've decided I probably will take the work.

With the risk of seeming lazy, can anyone recommend a series of lessons geared towards tutoring. I would need no more than 10 lessons, and I would frame it as a crash course of basic survival/situation English.

I do have a number of lessons, etc., but I was hoping someone might have a series of lessons or know of a series of lessons that fits this bill.

Thanks.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in beginner, do you mean child? Adults can also be beginners.

Perhaps more detail would get your more responses.

I had several private jobs the past two semesters and they were all different depending on the age of the student, where you are teaching the class (home, Starbucks, classroom).

To do a proper job, you would likely need to develop bespoke lessons suitable for that particular client.
JeremyDay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. She is a working professional. A Chinese woman in her 30's? I'm only in this area for another 60 days. So it would be about 8 lessons. I'm considering doing a crash course in English with a very basic crash course in English. Kind of like a survival guide in English with 10 lessons at the most. Work, Hobbies, Introductions, Family, etc.

I appreciate the response.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would teach her English related to her job if that was appropriate.

Ask why she wants to learn English. For work or for self-improvement.

Two different types of lessons.

Since it's only going to be 8 lessons, I'd leave her with some extra material so she can self-study. Help her find a book or internet site where she can continue on her own.
JeremyDay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yes, her field is early education, and the focus is this particular field. That may be so specific that I will have to create them from scratch. I just don't like reinventing the wheel.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did she get through the school system and into an education-related field and acquire zero English?
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
How did she get through the school system and into an education-related field and acquire zero English?

I taught with many Chinese English teachers that could barely speak English.
At one school the head of the English department could not speak any English.
rioux

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
Non Sequitur wrote:

I taught with many Chinese English teachers that could barely speak English.
At one school the head of the English department could not speak any English.

10 years of the Chinese way of "learning English' down the drain.
Edward-SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the demand for private English teachers so high over there that we have to turn down $40+/hour lessons?
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charge 400RMB an hour.
I have other important things to do with my time. Plus I live out in the middle of nowhere now. I know it's summer but so far I have only seen one other NET in the city I'm in.
If they don't want to pay what I charge then they can find someone else.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward-SoCal wrote:
Is the demand for private English teachers so high over there that we have to turn down $40+/hour lessons?

Yes and no. There's plenty of demand in the right areas if you have developed a good reputation. I regularly turn down USD 60+ / hr lessons. However, that's not a situation you can walk straight into on day one. It takes time and effort to put yourself in such a position.
Edward-SoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
Edward-SoCal wrote:

Yes and no. There's plenty of demand in the right areas if you have developed a good reputation. I regularly turn down USD 60+ / hr lessons. However, that's not a situation you can walk straight into on day one. It takes time and effort to put yourself in such a position.

Oh, thanks for that. That sounds like decent income comparable to professional jobs back in the States. And I do understand that developing a reputation would be a major effort. China's society is the collectivist type and word of mouth is the way to get there, I imagine.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward-SoCal wrote:
Oh, thanks for that. That sounds like decent income comparable to professional jobs back in the States. And I do understand that developing a reputation would be a major effort. China's society is the collectivist type and word of mouth is the way to get there, I imagine.

The tutoring industry is highly varied. So for some, it's barely worth the effort. For others, it can be a game changer. Some successfully use tutoring to more than double their salaries. Others, like myself, rely 100% on their tutoring income. If you are interested in tutoring, do some research beforehand and try to find out the tutoring potential in your selected area. Bear in mind that you will have to adapt to conditions in your local area upon arrival.

There are several threads on this site discussing tutoring work, how to find it, how to avoid some of the common pitfalls and the general ins and outs of the business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: