Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Mexico

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanESL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Teaching in Mexico Reply with quote

Hello,

I am interested in teaching ESL in Mexico. I am looking at Guadalajara, Puebla and Querétaro as possible cities to live in. Are there specific schools that are good places to teach at? What is a typical salary for a new ESL teacher? I am new to teaching ESL. I obtained my 120 Hour TEFL/ TESOL this month from the University of Arizona. In addition, I have a Graduate Certificate in Regulation and Economics and a BA in Economics. Any information or advice is welcomed.

Thank you
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have student loans? If so you're going to have a difficult time paying them on Mexican wages.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, consider teaching economics instead of English. It's not that common a position but it does come up, especially for IB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lovelatinamerica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Do you have student loans? If so you're going to have a difficult time paying them on Mexican wages.

I have student loans but still plan to teach in Mexico. I think if I plan well it will work out fine and it is only temporary, not for the long term. I also live in Southern California so a quick hop over the border to catch a flight within Mexico is cheaper than if I lived somewhere else in the U.S. or Canada.
lovelatinamerica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be looking at any mid to big size city for jobs. Just avoid cities like Juarez. Oaxaca, Puebla, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Queretaro, and even the bigger citites in Chiapas are good to look at.
SeanESL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Mexico Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies to my post.

I would enjoy teaching economics. Would I need a state teaching credential?

I also do not have much teaching experience. My teaching experience includes two years in an Americorp program teaching primary school children in California. Some of the students were ESL students. However, this experience was back in 2001-2004
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A state license would be a big asset as well as picking up any experience you can, to teach econ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: