Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching adults at training centers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching adults at training centers Reply with quote

At Meten, etc and these training centres aimed at teaching adult students. How are the teen and adult students, and how are the centres usually? Good colleagues, tolerable management? Little to no prep involved?

I was offered a job recently. Pay isn't that impressive, but it's all I could find on short notice, and I'd rather not be teaching young kids again.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most training centers want you to teach 5 - sometimes more - one hour classes a day. It gets old - very fast. I did a training center and the classes were back to back - I needed to piss between classes and was 3 minutes late - and got noticed that I was late for class.

Working class adults are the best - they have experience and desire to learn. The younger kids often don't want to be there. They are there cause their parents made them go - especially in the summer.

There's a few Metens where I am. Friends who worked there said it was okay - despite low pay and weekend word and sometimes split shifts.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training centres in my experience required split shifts, evenings and weekends. I was paid for teaching hours only so with the shifts it could feel like 6 hours pay for a 12 hour day. Can be a good money saver if you get enough hours
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other posters. I prefer teaching at the adult level. Meten, Wall Street, Echo, among others aren't too bad to work for if you want to avoid the little cretins. Just keep in mind the hours can be long and split shifts like other posters said.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say spilt shifts, do you mean you teach classes in the morning and then in the evening? (IE: 7-10 am and 7-10 pm).. I used to teach at an academy in South Korea called YBM. I actually liked it. The students were adults who took English to further their careers.

Is there much of a difference between hours and pay with Meten, Wall Street or EF?

I wouldn't mind teaching adults at a second tiered city such as Wuhan, Nanjing, Suzhou, etc. Do they have adult schools there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: