Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best market for English major with CELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best Market for CELTA/English major holder with no experience?
China
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Vietnam
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Thailand
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Czech Republic
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Spain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Singapore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Saudi Arabia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some other middle east country
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

AwesomeOne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Best market for English major with CELTA Reply with quote

Besides CELTA, I'll have 0 experience. I have not gotten the CELTA yet, but I'm thinking Bangkok cause its the cheapest.

I'm trying to search the forums, but I'm getting conflicting/old answers.

I'm also wondering if employers care about MFA in creative writing degrees, and/or an online masters in TEFL. Might start online TEFL degree asap if its useful.

I rather like the idea of living in Singapore, and I went to a top 100 school according to the shanghai college ranking, but seems like a tough market.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are American, you can omit Spain (you're not eligible for a legal work permit there).

Czech Republic is do-able, but requires start up costs. They'll want you to interview in person, and salaries are subsistence level but sufficient to enjoy living there. Timing requires you to be here early September for peak hiring season.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I think China is a good choice because of the demand for teachers and size of the market. To get going as a newbie I think it will do.
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie I can only speak for Vietnam! My CELTA was essential to get my job with Wall Street English. The lesson plans I done on the CELTA also really helped me with my demo lesson which was part of the interview process.
GHL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Thailand. You won't save anything, but the lifestyle is awesome.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeOne wrote:
Besides CELTA, I'll have 0 experience. I have not gotten the CELTA yet, but I'm thinking Bangkok cause its the cheapest.

I'm trying to search the forums, but I'm getting conflicting/old answers.

I'm also wondering if employers care about MFA in creative writing degrees, and/or an online masters in TEFL. Might start online TEFL degree asap if its useful.

Have you looked at actual job ads for the countries you've listed? That's always a good start when checking if you meet the qualifications.

Thailand and Vietnam seem to be good for newbies. But strike Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the rest of the Gulf off your list; your lack of experience is an issue. Yes, there may be a Saudi company looking for a warm body with just a degree and a fresh CELTA. However, that's not an entity you'd want to end up working for.

Hold off on getting a TEFL-related MA. Wait until you have a few years of experience under your belt. Also be aware that some countries do not accept online degrees or qualifications. (That would be most of the Gulf.)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeOne:

I responded to your PM.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you mean by 'best market'? Best market in terms of potential income? Or best market in terms of a decent work/life balance? Or chances for professional development? Or travel? Or something else?
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best market for English major with CELTA Reply with quote

AwesomeOne wrote:
I'm thinking Bangkok cause its the cheapest.

If you don't know the difference between cause and because, it's and its, then I would seek employment in another field. Sorry to be rude, but the reality of the situation is that your written English is poorer than that of many learners of English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: