Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there anyone even teaching in the Philippines?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Is there anyone even teaching in the Philippines? Reply with quote

I know there must be people (native speakers) doing it but I haven't seen any threads/posts about it.
Trina Marlow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are tons of english teachers from the Philippines teaching Korean, Japanese, and Chinese students of all ages. Most of these teachers do their job online, remotely and are paid quite lucratively.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Is there anyone even teaching in the Philippines? Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
I know there must be people (native speakers) doing it but I haven't seen any threads/posts about it.

Regarding native speakers and compared to other nations in Asia, I believe there is a very limited number of such individuals teaching full-time in the Philippines. For the most part, these individuals will be found teaching primarily at international schools and major language centers of whatever description.

The "lucrative" salaries allegedly being earned by Filipino teachers instructing English online may not be viewed the same way by well qualified and experienced native speaker teachers of English seeking a full-time position in the Philippines.

Bottom line: There are very few full-time teaching positions for native speakers of English in the Philippines when compared to several other nations in Asia advertising countless full-time teaching openings that often include higher salaries.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trina Marlow wrote:
I know there are tons of english teachers from the Philippines teaching Korean, Japanese, and Chinese students of all ages. Most of these teachers do their job online, remotely and are paid quite lucratively.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not a teacher, not involved in teaching, and have never worked as a teacher in the Philippines, correct?

The "lucrative" salaries thing is a myth. The Philippine nationals I know doing this can barely make ends meet.

Moreover, if you do online work as a foreigner and without a pertinent visa, you'd better keep quiet about it. A number of government reward schemes have recently been instituted whereby you can make money informing on foreigners living and working illegally in the Philippines. E.g., here:

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/news/press-release/95-november-2014-press-releases/695-bi-launches-sa-immigration-magsumbong-reward-and-incentive-program

It is illegal to do even online work without a visa permitting one to work in the Philippines. Also, with these reward schemes, there is no penalty or punishment to those who might report a foreigner out of a desire for vengeance or just out of idle curiosity. Accordingly, if you choose to work online, don't call attention to yourself...and don't make enemies.

Finally, to the OP (though I think you know this), there is a surplus of extremely qualified (often with overseas MAs/PhDs) Philippine citizens willing and able to teach for very little. Because of this, there is little need to hire "native speakers"--a funny phrase in this context, given that many Philippine citizens I've met consider themselves native speakers of English--from overseas.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:
A number of government reward schemes have recently been instituted whereby you can make money informing on foreigners living and working illegally in the Philippines. E.g., here:

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/news/press-release/95-november-2014-press-releases/695-bi-launches-sa-immigration-magsumbong-reward-and-incentive-program

That isn't good news at all for a few people I met many years back. I think they were 'stuck' in the Philippines.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
A number of government reward schemes have recently been instituted whereby you can make money informing on foreigners living and working illegally in the Philippines. E.g., here:

That isn't good news at all for a few people I met many years back. I think they were 'stuck' in the Philippines.

I may have met some of those same people when I last visited this past June.... Wink

I just want to make clear that by "visa permitting one to work in the Philippines," I'm not exclusively talking about attaining a Philippine Working Visa (9g). There are several visa categories/types which seemingly would allow online teaching work. Just make sure your category/type is one of them before starting...or keep quiet about it.

Also, keep in mind again that, while it can be a nice supplemental income, you probably won't be getting rich soon from online teaching....
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be lucky to make $15 an hour teaching online. Most companies keep the profits themselves and offer low pay. I interviewed with talk51but didn't get the job. I don'tknow how any westerner can work in the Philippines and earn enough do you?
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugubregondola wrote:
You'll be lucky to make $15 an hour teaching online. Most companies keep the profits themselves and offer low pay. I interviewed with talk51but didn't get the job. I don'tknow how any westerner can work in the Philippines and earn enough do you?

From personal experience, I know that if you are a well credentialed and experienced teacher and able to secure a position in the Philippines from overseas to teach at one of the real certified international schools in the country, it is very possible to make a respectable wage and live and work comfortably in the Philippines.
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look out for a job there then but I haven't ever seen any jobs on TES for international schools going in the Philippines. I guess loads of teachers would be after such a job if it were advertised anyway seeing wherw it is located.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugubregondola wrote:
I will look out for a job there then but I haven't ever seen any jobs on TES for international schools going in the Philippines. I guess loads of teachers would be after such a job if it were advertised anyway seeing wherw it is located.

With hoards of returning Pinoy OFWs and lots of 13a visa holders your chances of finding a legal job as a teacher are about 0% unless you hold a B.Ed, IB certifications and experience (qualify for a work visa) or are married to a Pinay, have a 13a visa and valid teachers certification from the states.

Put in your time in Korea, enjoy a year on the beach as a tourist then try China. You'll be much further ahead.

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
With hoards of returning Pinoy OFWs and lots of 13a visa holders your chances of finding a legal job as a teacher are about 0% unless you hold a B.Ed, IB certifications and experience (qualify for a work visa) or are married to a Pinay, have a 13a visa and valid teachers certification from the states.

Bumping this as I'm working here now and legally without being married. There are jobs here if you look.
MrDave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
suphanburi wrote:

Bumping this as I'm working here now and legally without being married. There are jobs here if you look.

What sort of pay can people expect, and are the jobs in the main cities?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDave wrote:

What sort of pay can people expect, and are the jobs in the main cities?

60,000php to start in Manila. Not big money but enough.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are tons of english teachers from the Philippines teaching Korean, Japanese, and Chinese students of all ages. Most of these teachers do their job online, remotely and are paid quite lucratively.

A Language Learning Archipelago
EL Gazette | Dec-Jan 2018
http://www.elgazette.com/

The Philippines likes to boast it is the third largest English speaking country in the world. Alongside Tagalog, English is one of the state’s two official languages.

It is also becoming a major English language study destination. The language school market is concentrated in the resort areas. The island of Cebu, best known for its white sand beaches and its deep sea diving, is the most popular destination with 18 of the 82 schools listed on the ESL base website.

Native speaker teachers are few and far between and tend to work on courses for exams such as IELTS or TOEFL taken by locals wishing to study or work abroad. Some schools do offer native speakers for language travellers however. “Although Asian countries remain the largest markets, the ICEF report found students from Brazil, Libya and Russia are attracted by the warm weather, the great beaches and the cheap prices."

At the Clarke Institute of the Philippines, for example, young learners programmes are taught by a mix of native and non-native speaker teachers but work permits can be hard to come by in a country where everyone speaks English.

Overall, the actual numbers of students choosing to study English in the Philippines is hard to establish. In 2014, 24,000 Koreans obtained a visa to study there, up from under 6,000 in 2004, while 3,500 Japanese travelled there to learn English, according to ICEF.

(End of excerpt)
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 15 years in China, and having visited the Philippines many times for extended breaks, and having just recently been 'retrenched', I would love to move to the Philippines permanently.

China gets a man down. They don't really want us in their country. They just want want want.

I enjoy the lifestyle and the people of the PI!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: