Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working Permits and Non-B Visas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Working Permits and Non-B Visas Reply with quote

With all the crackdowns and changes to the visa rules, how does one remain working legally in the country for a full year if Non-B's are only good for 90 days? I've seen a lot about border runs but the feeling I get is that this is considered wrong by Thai government standards. I've also seen "One Year Immigrant Visas" but they too require the 90 day border runs?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Working Permits and Non-B Visas Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
With all the crackdowns and changes to the visa rules, how does one remain working legally in the country for a full year if Non-B's are only good for 90 days? I've seen a lot about border runs but the feeling I get is that this is considered wrong by Thai government standards. I've also seen "One Year Immigrant Visas" but they too require the 90 day border runs?

Once you have your non-b (a letter from labor and education offices are required) you are good for 90 days. The school obtains your teacher's permit from the Thai Council of Teachers (Krusapha).
With that you can then get (with the employers assistance) your work permit.

After you have the work permit you return to immigration and extend your allowed period of stay to the end of the contract or 1 year (whichever comes first).

If you stay with the same employer then the next 1-year extension is a simple matter of applying for it and supplying some documents from the school and your tax receipt (showing your taxes were filed).

I have been with my employer for 8 years now and have never had to do a "border run" or a visa run.

AMF08D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thank you very much for all the information.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like they make the teachers renew at Immigration every 90 days (1900 THB), and will give you a year, after a year of 90s. Border runners are never legal...those who get 90 day extensions at Immigration are.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
seems like they make the teachers renew at Immigration every 90 days (1900 THB), and will give you a year, after a year of 90s. Border runners are never legal...those who get 90 day extensions at Immigration are.

If you have a non-b and a work permit then your extension is up to a total stay of 1 year or to the end of the work permit, whichever comes first.

Annual extensions are just that, annual (1 year duration).

Do not confuse the extension of stay with the 90-day report of address (free) but required.

People who have to get an extension of their visa every 90 days are NOT on a work permit as a teacher.

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be more common. I was told that by a girl with some NGO group, as we waited in line in CM. She had been doing a year of 90 day extensions, and finally on that day she was given a full year...her boss met her there at 6 am....whether or not she had a WP...I dont know. There was also a whole big group of teachers in their work clothes lining up at sunrise...maybe they were well getting a year, but it looked like a regular thing. The one year and 90 day B lines were one in the same. I was in line for retirement extension....which is bad enough once per year...I can't imagine doing a regular paper chase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: