Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When the "well runs dry"... What's next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siologen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: re: fair point... Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't expect it to change... it's take it or leave it time.

Ah, but therein lies the rub, myself and others don't expect it to change! It suits those (like myself!) with an unrelated degree and no professional teaching qualifications just fine. When in other countries, they pay BA holders with a RELATED degree even less than the now newer and lower salaries in the K.S.A, then whichever way you cut it, it is still a good deal for a unrelated BA holder....and as you said it's take it or leave it time, no written rule that you have to take it FOREVER. Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Shookran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you veer off into another direction, my question remains unanswered: Why are budgets being cut? If you're very rich and what you sell suddenly has less value, it doesn't suddenly make you poor. You're still very rich. So, why are budgets being cut?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfectly obvious to me. If you are earning significantly less money so that you have been dipping into your savings to support your lifestyle, you either change your lifestyle... or you choose to keep your lifestyle and cut expenses (and let your slave laborers cut their lifestyles).

I'd suggest that you google about the Saudi economy. There is plenty of information available explaining it quite clearly with even minimal understanding of economics.

VS
Shookran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saud King and immediate Princes are only worth a total of around $100 Billion, so yes I can see how dipping into their savings could present problems Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Saud King" ? King Saud died some years ago.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shookran wrote:
The Saud King and immediate Princes are only worth a total of around $100 Billion, so yes I can see how dipping into their savings could present problems Laughing

Not sure that is relevant to a national budget. I don't see the extremely wealthy citizens of the US or the UK dipping into their savings and investments to pay for teachers in Left Overshoe, Nebraska or Right Overshoe, England...

No one is particularly sympathetic to the budgetary issues of such a wealthy country, but it is obvious as to why education budgets are being slashed. And it is just going to get worse...

VS
Shookran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're not sure please come back when you are more knowledgeable to answer my question. In the meantime thanks for the input.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... reading is another of your difficulties along with understanding basic economics.

VS
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shookran wrote:
Well, if you're not sure please come back when you are more knowledgeable to answer my question. In the meantime thanks for the input.

A simple Google Search will answer this for you. Saudi is in debt due to declining prices on Oil and they have been taxing products such as cola and cigarettes, an expat tax for dependants to make money.

Budgets are being slashed due to oil not fetching a lot of money.
Shookran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments, thanks for the dance Wink

Foo_Fighters_Dave, thank you, yes it seems that Saudi Arabia has a national debt crisis on their hands that makes its owners' personal Billionaire wealth look like pocket change. And all because of oild-dependancy. Maybe we should buy shares in Saudi inc. to help them out Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shookran wrote:
Maybe we should buy shares in Saudi inc. to help them out Laughing

Actually their most (possibly) lucrative source of ready cash is to start selling stock in Aramco. So, there we go...

Not sure if they are ready for the business transparency that would require. Laughing

VS
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reinvest Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Easy answer... everywhere in the world when budgets need to be cut, education is always the first place they look.

Thus number of teachers hired has dropped all around the Gulf. That immediately raises supply, which means that they can get people for less money and benefits - increasing the long time downward trend in pay packages.

Don't expect it to change... it's take it or leave it time.

VS

KSA is involved in a war to the south and a dispute to the east. When the going gets tough, the military budget seems to rise and education gets less.

Everyone in the Gulf should have been well aware that the gravy train would stop sooner or later, for any number of reasons. The important thing was to invest the money outside of the country: property or diversification into a new skills set.

Unfortunately, some folks in the UAE thought they could invest in the property market there and not get burned. I suppose that this was never an option in KSA.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 'no' on foreigners owning real estate in KSA, Gulezar.

In addition to the oil slump and the Saudi military battling it out with neighboring Yemen, there's also Nitaqat (AKA Saudization) -- the push to replace expats with Saudis. (King Abdulaziz University has an MA TESOL program, taught by nationals who received their degrees from western universities.)

siologen wrote:
It suits those (like myself!) with an unrelated degree and no professional teaching qualifications just fine. When in other countries, they pay BA holders with a RELATED degree even less than the now newer and lower salaries in the K.S.A, then whichever way you cut it, it is still a good deal for a unrelated BA holder....and as you said it's take it or leave it time, no written rule that you have to take it FOREVER.

And yet, I believe you've been trying to get work in KSA that fits your "must haves" since last year, and you're still looking. Those with an unrelated degree are especially seeing the KSA pool start to dry up in terms of options. Hopefully, you're still bringing in an income in whatever country you presently reside in. Perhaps that's the more realistic option for you rather than the Kingdom.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The well wont run dry for 30 years. If it gets low, there are endless jobs in China. But you have to work more.

I make more in China and enjoy life much more than in the KSA
siologen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: re: thanks for that... Reply with quote

Quote:
If it gets low, there are endless jobs in China. But you have to work more.

I make more in China and enjoy life much more than in the KSA

Thanks for that info,but whenever I go offtopic and mention the C country word I get told to stay on topic, ie, Saudi Arabia.

I agree there are endless jobs there, but as you rightly state, you have to work more. The travel can become tiring in that instance. I still maintain the gulf region or HK pays the best for those with an unrelated degree, but that is just my opinion. I won't put end of you know what this time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: