Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching German in Asia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Teaching German in Asia Reply with quote

I realize this is an ESL job board. I do have experience and training in ESL teaching, but am actually a fully qualified German teacher. Does anyone have any experience teaching German in Asia OR know of anyone teaching German?

Am hoping to get some ideas or advice from anyone about this. I have applied for a number of schools, but also wondering if there is some job board for this that I am not aware of or possibly if anyone is working in a school with German as an option/vacancy.

Thanks Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If such job boards exist, they're likely to be in German and not English. Confused

Try the following Internet searches (in both languages):

- Look up German expats in [target country] for forums and websites for German nationals living in the countries you're interested in. You can join and ask your questions there.
- For possible teaching positions: German teaching jobs in [target country].
- For a list of German/European international schools, contact your embassy in your target countries. Also Google German schools in [target country].
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goethe Institut.
kev20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching German in Asia Reply with quote

Ryks wrote:
I realize this is an ESL job board. I do have experience and training in ESL teaching, but am actually a fully qualified German teacher. Does anyone have any experience teaching German in Asia OR know of anyone teaching German?

Am hoping to get some ideas or advice from anyone about this. I have applied for a number of schools, but also wondering if there is some job board for this that I am not aware of or possibly if anyone is working in a school with German as an option/vacancy.

Thanks Smile

I know a woman who owns a German teaching school in a 3rd tiier city in Jiangsu province, China. She's looking to open in Shanghai too but that's some way down the line. Are you from Germany, OP?
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, these teachers tend to work part-time.
30 years ago things were different, and money could be made.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryks wrote:
I am actually a fully qualified German teacher.

Your timing might be off; the academic year has already started for most international schools. Also, you stated on your other thread that you just completed your PGCE. Since your German and European Studies degree isn't related to education, it would benefit you to have a couple of years of k12 teaching experience. For example, the following is from an IB school in Vietnam:

Quote:
This international school in Vietnam is looking for an experienced Secondary German MYP Teacher from August 2018. Applicants must have a teaching degree (a minimum of a BED or degree plus PGCE), 2 years or more of post qualification teaching experience and experience teaching German at MYP level. They should also have excellent communication, teaching and interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for teaching internationally.

To gain experience, consider widening your list of countries by researching those with a large population of German/European expats. You might even look at your homeland for jobs given the large number of refugee children entering the country's school system. See Berlin seeks German language teachers for refugee students.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching "Ladendeutsch" to migrants form the Third World ? Not quite the same as teaching the formalities of "Hochdeutsch" to well-motivated students in an academic setting !
Ryks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching German in Asia Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
Ryks wrote:

Thanks Smile

I know a woman who owns a German teaching school in a 3rd tiier city in Jiangsu province, China. She's looking to open in Shanghai too but that's some way down the line. Are you from Germany, OP?

Yes I was born there but grew up bilingual so am trained and prepared to teach ESL or German. Obviously German would be better as I have a full teaching qualification for that!
Ryks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Ryks wrote:
I am actually a fully qualified German teacher.

Your timing might be off; the academic year has already started for most international schools. Also, you stated on your other thread that you just completed your PGCE. Since your German and European Studies degree isn't related to education, it would benefit you to have a couple of years of k12 teaching experience. For example, the following is from an IB school in Vietnam:

Quote:
This international school in Vietnam is looking for an experienced Secondary German MYP Teacher from August 2018. Applicants must have a teaching degree (a minimum of a BED or degree plus PGCE), 2 years or more of post qualification teaching experience and experience teaching German at MYP level. They should also have excellent communication, teaching and interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for teaching internationally.

To gain experience, consider widening your list of countries by researching those with a large population of German/European expats. You might even look at your homeland for jobs given the large number of refugee children entering the country's school system. See Berlin seeks German language teachers for refugee students.

Yeh ideally I should have spent another year teaching in the UK, but have not enjoyed it very much hence the want to return abroad again. Have you got a link to that job post? I will apply anyway. I actually got my previous job with less experience too. German teachers are hard to come by!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryks wrote:
Yeh ideally I should have spent another year teaching in the UK, but have not enjoyed it very much hence the want to return abroad again. Have you got a link to that job post? I will apply anyway.

I easily found that ad by using the basic country-specific search suggested in my initial post. Be proactive and start searching the Net. That's the only way you'll find out what's out there -- what you qualify for. Plus, some ads are likely to be posted in German.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: