Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering in India

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deano2727

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Volunteering in India Reply with quote

I am going to India in November for 4-5 months. By the time I go, I should be TEFL certified. While I am there, I would like to volunteer in order to get some experience. Ideally, I would like it to be with a school of some sort, so I can have a record of my experience and possibly earn a reference. Is this possible for someone with no college degree? I don't want to earn a wage or anything, I would enjoy the chance to get to experience how English is taught as a foreign language. I would be happy enough just sitting in a classroom watching and contributing where I can.

Does anyone know if what I am asking is possible? If so, what would be the best way to go about it? I will be in North Goa, Arambol specifically, for around 2-3 months, so I feel this would probably be the best place to do my volunteering. I also plan on doing paid lessons for tourists while there. Even if I only make a couple of hundred rupees a week, its still something and will give me much needed teaching experience.

Cheers, guys.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is likely to be wildly successful. The tourist workers (who hopefully have money and need for functional English) are highly likely to already have reasonable English language skills, and established outlets for study as needed. The tourists are on holiday. Other locals are unlikely to be interested or to have money to spend on this.

I mean, good luck - it's worth a shot if you're going to be there anyway, but I wouldn't count on finding much actual paid work, to be honest.
deano2727

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I don't think this is likely to be wildly successful. The tourist workers (who hopefully have money and need for functional English) are highly likely to already have reasonable English language skills, and established outlets for study as needed. The tourists are on holiday. Other locals are unlikely to be interested or to have money to spend on this.

I mean, good luck - it's worth a shot if you're going to be there anyway, but I wouldn't count on finding much actual paid work, to be honest.

Doing lessons for tourists is more of an extra. What I am more interested in, is doing volunteering for an organisation of sorts to get experience and make myself more employable. Ideally, this would be through a school.
Bluefish3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello deano2727, It sounds like a great idea and lots of fun. I too was hoping to teach English in India but was discouraged when the NGO I wanted to work with informed me that it was illegal to work in India, even as a volunteer, without a work permit. I was told that they did not accept volunteers outside of India just because it was such a hassle for them to get a work permit from the government. That said, I was also told that many NGOs will turn a blind eye to the work permit requirement. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Please keep us updated once you get there in November. Good luck!!!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything specifically about Goa, so this may not help much. But there are dozens of organizations who recruit or accept volunteers to teach English to the Tibetan refugee community in Dharamsala/McloudGanj in Himachel Pradesh in northern India. You can apply to an organization like LHA, Volunteer Tibet, or Tibet Charity; but you can also just show up and usually start work within days. There are dozens of places seeking volunteers, and someone who has a TEFL qualification and can stay a while will have no shortage of opportunities. In addition, the students tend to be serious and eager to learn.

currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of legality and practicality it is far easier to do this sort of thing in almost any country other than India in the region.. The Indian bureaucracy has always been maddening. I know of people teaching in Nepal and Bangladesh, for example. I found it far easier to work for a school in Pakistan (when it was safe) than in India..

Best of luck.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your entry permit and visa will prohibit work or paid employment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: